Is this the new VA?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
President Donald Trump announced new efforts Thursday to use technology to improve veterans' health care, saying the programs will greatly expand access, especially for mental health care and suicide prevention. Veterans living in rural areas will also benefit, he said.

Initiatives include using video technology and diagnostic tools to conduct medical exams. Veterans also will be able to use mobile devices to make and manage appointments with Veterans Administration doctors.

"We call it 'anywhere to anywhere' VA health care," VA Secretary David Shulkin said. Shulkin said the goal is better health care for veterans wherever they are. He said existing "telehealth" programs provided care to more than 700,000 veterans last year.

A medical doctor, Shulkin wore his white coat to the White House announcement, during which he demonstrated the technologies for Trump.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/trump-announce-ways-veterans-medical-care-49012863

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sure, let's do all our medicine via video chat. They're going to do this more and more in spite of the fact it is severely limited in its true efficacy. Is it better than nothing? Yeah, sure... you can talk with a licensed mental health professional on the phone or via video chat - but let's not bother working our asses off to increase the actual number of providers in the chain to avoid having to do "virtual health" visits.

It's sad that we've already given up. Now we just have to convince people this is the "new normal".

<edit> Just wait for Facebook's new "Contact a doctor" feature on a pay per use basis, or #findadocnow on Twitter. We're screwed as a society in so many ways...

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned the change to the VA that would have the most impact for the good would be to change the policies so that under-performing personnel, after failing to improve, get canned - period. This would especially apply to those at all management levels (all the way to the top) - and any bonuses would HAVE to be earned, not just given as some sort of benefit.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Great idea. If they can combine with a radical realignment of care priorities, we'll have a VA system to be prouder of.

Right now the VA treats more patients outside the top 3 or 4 priority groups than it does the patients in those service connected groups.

They need to tighten up the definition of "service connected" and limit access for non service connected.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Receiving care through the VA is part of my pay for being in the service honorably. Even if you have a service connected condition or injury, if you don't sign up within the time period specified after you leave the service, you are not eligible. That right there is a limit applicable to service connected or non-service connected care.

Whatever expense the VA is, it is part of the cost of the defense of the United States. Promises made, promises kept.

I do not have a service connected condition or injury, but because I signed up prior to the end of any time limit, I am eligible for and receive my health care through the VA. Best move I ever made. I wish I had enrolled prior to my heart attacks. The quality of care I receive is top notch. The OKC VA hospital being associated with OU Medical Center is a big plus for me, the hospital, and the OU med students as well.

I've had stents installed, a blocked peripheral blood vessel replaced with an artificial artery, a major subdural hematoma caused by a vehicle accident removed from the left side of my brain(for which the VA was eventually compensated for by the other driver's insurance), and as recent as last Tuesday through Friday been treated for a perforated appendix. With all of this and my annual check-ups and prescriptions, I make a co-payment. I receive nothing for free from the VA.

I've seen first hand the value of the technology implemented by the VA. It is nice to see a doctor sitting at the computer typing in his/her notes directly during an exam. Next exam, those notes are right up there on the screen along with lab results and etc.. It is very convenient to be able to order refills and view appointment schedules on line.

Woody

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Receiving care through the VA is part of my pay for being in the service honorably. Even if you have a service connected condition or injury, if you don't sign up within the time period specified after you leave the service, you are not eligible. That right there is a limit applicable to service connected or non-service connected care.

Whatever expense the VA is, it is part of the cost of the defense of the United States. Promises made, promises kept.

I do not have a service connected condition or injury, but because I signed up prior to the end of any time limit, I am eligible for and receive my health care through the VA. Best move I ever made. I wish I had enrolled prior to my heart attacks. The quality of care I receive is top notch. The OKC VA hospital being associated with OU Medical Center is a big plus for me, the hospital, and the OU med students as well.

I've had stents installed, a blocked peripheral blood vessel replaced with an artificial artery, a major subdural hematoma caused by a vehicle accident removed from the left side of my brain(for which the VA was eventually compensated for by the other driver's insurance), and as recent as last Tuesday through Friday been treated for a perforated appendix. With all of this and my annual check-ups and prescriptions, I make a co-payment. I receive nothing for free from the VA.

I've seen first hand the value of the technology implemented by the VA. It is nice to see a doctor sitting at the computer typing in his/her notes directly during an exam. Next exam, those notes are right up there on the screen along with lab results and etc.. It is very convenient to be able to order refills and view appointment schedules on line.

Woody
I may have to take issue with your comment about time limits to some extent.
If it is in your military medical records at the time of discharge, there is no time limit I'm aware of.
A group of us, all veterans meet weekly for lunch and shoot at the range after if the weather is agreeable. One was a tank driver during the Cold War on the Check Border. His medical records showed a hearing loss. He applied a few years back and it was rated service connected. Another marine that eats with us was drenched in agent orange during the Vietnam war. After several bouts with cancer, he applied around 10 years ago and because of his history and the gov finally admitting agent orange was a carcinogenic he was given a disability rating.
I'm Priority 1, And have had great care for the most part until this last episode.
I did complain to the patient advocate, and later that day an administrator called me, got my story and agreed it wasn't right.
I got a call an hour later from the physician explaining the biopsy results.
That system worked.
The doctor is a resident but new to the field. Shares his time between the OU med center and the VA.
Overall, I'm pleased with the VA.
Since I'm more than 40 miles from a clinic, I'm eligible for the program the Obama administration started to allow vets to get care from local medical with the VA picking up the tab depending on your level.
Everybody got these cards to present to where you went. Turns out that it was a fluffer. No money was allocated to pay for it. Threw mine in the trash after finding out it was worthless.
This new program of video medicine was started during the Obama administration and completed during Trumps to be historically correct, and Trump has promised money to make this program work for the rural vets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The VA really should go to a voucher system across the board.

As seen here at the end.... make it competitive.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
In my humble and very unpopular opinion, there should be very limited VA treatment for non-service connected conditions. God bless our vets but when I enlisted I don't recall being promised healthcare for the rest of my life unless I managed to successfully retire (retirees don't even actually get it for life. They move them to Medicare when they reach that age) or sustained some sort of injury/condition as a result of my service. Non-service connected treatment should be reserved for extreme cases involving indigent veterans and/or very limited space available programs.

The VA's primary mission should be caring for those who were somehow made less than whole as a result of their service to our country. Right now that script is flipped and they treat more non-service connected patients each year than they do service connected.

Imagine how much care would be improved for our war/service injured brothers if all of those resources were spent on them? It would be amazing.

Fixing the VA, and funding for it, would be much easier if we eliminated that mission creep.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Imagine how much care would be improved for our war/service injured brothers if all of those resources were spent on them? It would be amazing.

Fixing the VA, and funding for it, would be much easier if we eliminated that mission creep.

Unfortunately, I don't believe that to be the case... they would simply cut services and facilities and staff, not provide better care. That's just my assessment.

As for what was mentioned above about canning underperformers, that is pervasive in the entire healthcare system today. I have people I have to watch VERY carefully at work, and have our more competent personnel follow up behind them every single shift. It is scary, and these people have had writeups and complaints and constant feedback to supervisors, but nothing is done. It is just as bad in the private sector as in the gov't sector, because sometimes, supervisors just want a body to fill the spot. It's very, very scary.

Latest posts

Top Bottom