Its a year later, and nothing has changed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
And the warm fuzzy thing is, we borrowed the money to give to them to waste. The US has it's own problems and is too broke to fix them (even if we'd actually try), yet we can give money we don't have to countries who don't give a fat rat's a** about us for "feel good" reasons.

Cut out all aid to other countries until we get our own house back in order. Cut out sending troops to other countries and lets get our own border secured. We're borrowing money we can't pay back to fix our neighbors houses, while ours crumbles around us. Stupid beyond belief.

Street Rat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
And this is why I will never give to a place like this(other than money taken from me by our own corrupt government). Why give to people who will not stand up on their own in the first place.

shootingbuff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Promoting those that don't use the money for the people or who support us over and over again is a definition of ........._____________, and a waste of money and our quality of life.

DirtyDawg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Yet, the sheeple in this country are forced by threat of incarceration by the dictators in our "free society" to provide charity to Haiti. If we the people won't demand our leaders to stop enslaving us, then why would you expect the people of Haiti to do anything better?

UnSafe

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Haiti is literally a little West African country. No more, no less. Same history of volatile and violent leadership, lack of domestic resources and a population that cannot be motivated to take care of themselves.

I spent the spring of '95 in Port au Prince working in the Field Hospital on the Light Industrial Complex, just southwest of the airport. I was very happy to leave the chit hole. Sad, but relief and disaster aid does little to fix any of their problem. Just a big, expensive bandaid and photo op for dignitaries.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't disagree with a word your saying except for the group that left from our area that came back with a really bad attitude about those that won't work as the aid is free. Moocher attitude.
The government of Haiti has always been corrupt, and always will be as they still are.
So, do we as taxpayers have to subsidize this corruption?
I don't want to. I work for my money. I have big issues about those that don't.
Some people need aid. Haiti has proved that they are not worthy of aid.
Call me a hard a$$ if you want, but if my money is going to a country that needs aid, then by God, the people in that country had better be on board to help themselves, or suffer the consequences by their own choice.

All I'm saying is that all of the people aren't moochers - a lot of folks in Puert Au Prince are but that's like any big city here (picture New York, etc... lots of folks figure out quickly that begging is actually better money than working for themselves) but there are a lot of folks working for literally nothing in PaP and there are some who can't get a job because no one will hire them.

And when you get away from the big cities, the attitude gets better - there are a lot of good folks willing to do just about anything to make a dollar, but there is no money to be had, so they fish for their dinner (there is almost no wild animals over there or usable soil), or starve.

They don't have a lot of the basic infrastructure over there that we have to provide jobs (i.e. no trash service, no sewer service, no electric service, etc...).

I don't believe we should be paying their government anything, but if we had spent even a fraction of the resources helping them start over from scratch that we did Iraq, they'd be better off for it.

The people are disarmed, beaten down, and starving - to say they need to stand on their own feet and fight for what they want is to misunderstand what its like to live in a place with no rights/weapons/food while the government can do what ever they want to you.

RWS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I was playing basketball on one of my few down-afternoons there and the entire game stopped when a fruit fell from a tree hanging over the dirt-court - those guys literally fought over it and when I asked my friend why all the commotion, he said that most of those guys had no ability to go to school, and no one would hire them to work, so they just went without food for days at a time.

yet not one of them was industrious enough to climb the damn tree and get the fruit for themselves, but instead played ball while waiting for a handout from God?

hmmmm.....

Latest posts

Top Bottom