Jackass neighbors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aviator41

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
That is a very good point - our house is going on the market in the near future, perhaps a survey is in order right now. Get those flags in the ground and make sure he understands that he is not welcome on 'this' side of that line.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
That is a very good point - our house is going on the market in the near future, perhaps a survey is in order right now. Get those flags in the ground and make sure he understands that he is not welcome on 'this' side of that line.

I can speak for myself, and I know if I were looking at a home, and it was the perfect place I wanted, if some dipshit neighbor was so much as standing out on his back porch looking at us funny, it might make me think twice. If he really decides to sabotage you, he could just walk to the creek and start talkin' 'bout how it's his and you don't have any rights to it, etc., and that would immediately set off not just warning flags, but huge flares firing off for me when thinking about a purchase. No way in hail I want to buy into a neighborhood with a potentially trouble-making or cantankerous neighbor.

If you get the survey and such done now, you can have all that stuff hashed out and possibly settled before your house ever goes on the market.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha, that's cool. I'd like to hear what you get in terms of ideas of cost. Just for information purposes, I've never had a survey done, so I'm curious if this is a "few hundred" or "few thousand" kind of proposition.

HardKnox

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Hahaha, that's cool. I'd like to hear what you get in terms of ideas of cost. Just for information purposes, I've never had a survey done, so I'm curious if this is a "few hundred" or "few thousand" kind of proposition.

Last one I had done in 2011 cost me less than a grand ($600 I think) in the country.

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a survey done on my home in Mustang for this very reason. Nice two acre lot surrounded by 60 foot dogwood trees and shrubs. Well, one of my "neighbors" decided to clear away the "brush" and annex a corner of our property. They even parked a boat on it for a time. Kept it mowed like it was part of their back yard. I approached the owner and her daughter several times about it, and they always caused a scene, shouting and yelling. So nothing was going to be resolved peacefully. It amazed me there was even a dispute. All of the lots were about the same size and shaped like a rectangle. Her encroachment cut a 20'x60' swath out of the corner of my rectangle. I should also mention the owners daughter was a city of Mustang employee. Head of Animal control and then the city inspector.
I just wanted to be sure I was in the right and that it was on paper and legal when I took my next step. It cost me $600 bucks to have the survey done and the spikes driven.

After contacting an attorney he said my cheapest and probably best solution was to erect a permanent fence along the property line. You see, the hedge row had served as that barrier until now. So, one day I waited for them to go to work and broke out the auger post hole drill. I had spent the evening prior prefabricating a 6 foot tall drill pipe fence to fit along the property line and kept it on the side of our house facing away from their back porch. In a few hours the abomination was erected and the concrete hardening. Still there to this day as far as I know.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a survey done on my home in Mustang for this very reason. Nice two acre lot surrounded by 60 foot dogwood trees and shrubs. Well, one of my "neighbors" decided to clear away the "brush" and annex a corner of our property. They even parked a boat on it for a time. Kept it mowed like it was part of their back yard. I approached the owner and her daughter several times about it, and they always caused a scene, shouting and yelling. So nothing was going to be resolved peacefully. It amazed me there was even a dispute. All of the lots were about the same size and shaped like a rectangle. Her encroachment cut a 20'x60' swath out of the corner of my rectangle. I should also mention the owners daughter was a city of Mustang employee. Head of Animal control and then the city inspector.
I just wanted to be sure I was in the right and that it was on paper and legal when I took my next step. It cost me $600 bucks to have the survey done and the spikes driven.

After contacting an attorney he said my cheapest and probably best solution was to erect a permanent fence along the property line. You see, the hedge row had served as that barrier until now. So, one day I waited for them to go to work and broke out the auger post hole drill. I had spent the evening prior prefabricating a 6 foot tall drill pipe fence to fit along the property line and kept it on the side of our house facing away from their back porch. In a few hours the abomination was erected and the concrete hardening. Still there to this day as far as I know.

Tell us more....

Did you fence in and capture the boat? What do you mean "still there as far as you know"? Did you move?

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The boat was moved by the time I put the fence up. They had started to mow that part of the land as if it was part of their back yard. Cleared out all the poison ivy for me, so i guess theres that. What just floored me is how obvious what they had done was wrong. I guess they just figured I wouldnt do anything about it since the argument went on for about a year before I finally got fed up enough to act. They even told me once,"we have been maintaining it, so its ours now". I see, well maintain this.
Yeah, I moved about a year after that happened. But during that period of time the fence stayed where it was and there wasnt a word said to me. They did check ut the survey pins that were driven into the asphalt at the front of the property and the stakes placed by the surveyors at the back of the property. I guess they just decided it wasnt worth it. Had another neighbor behind me that I caught dumping grass clippings in the wooded portion in that part of the property. The look on his face was priceless when I traipsed through the brush to catch him. All he had to say was'" I didnt think you would see me". Seriously? GTFO of my yard.
I loved living in Mustang at the time. Its grown up a lot since then (2004-08). But some of the neighbors were total jackasses.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Yes because people just freaking loooove to come out start blabbing about how they own this and they know their property lines etc and frankly most buyers have no clue and will just believe them if they say it convincingly enough. Sadly some realtors are intimidated as well. A good agent will know to just let him speak and then shut his self down with a clearly marked survey. Just a pin stake will do. ;-) Just be prepared for him to start bitching and complaining about "your creek" afterwards.

Latest posts

Top Bottom