Jeep TJ Death Wobble

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
Hitting a bump was introducing my wobble & it would wobble till I almost came to a complete stop.

That's because you had death wobble and the bump caused the death wobble. If you had bump steer, it would have jerked the wheel and then back to normal.

Camo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I spent a good amount of time chasing my '04 TJ death wobble. I personally changed ball joints, track bar, drag link, upper and lower control arms, and front shocks. Still had wobble.
Took it to the big offroad shop in Yukon. Great owner and they did some troubleshooting and replaced wheels/tires and put a different track bar on. It helped, but did not alleviate the problem. I retorqued everything after a few hundred miles and that didn't help.
Short story now long... anyone know of an OKC/surrounding area shop that has knowledge and a history of success resolving TJ death wobble?
Adjustable lower track bars.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On my 1996 Discovery it was what they call the Panhard rod bushing on the frame. This may be the same thing some are calling the track rod. The Panhard rod ties the axle to the frame on the opposite side of the truck. The holes in the mounts that are welded to the frame would elongate and create a loose fit to the bolt going through the mount. An easy way to find a problem like this is get under the truck and have someone turn the steering back and forth while you look for something that moves before the tires do. That worked for me.

Duncandl

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Track bar bolts…replace the factory with the next size bigger even if you have to drill the factory holes out to fit.

At least look at them, so many Jeep folks just gloss over the reality of the bolts being the problem and just keep on buying the same crap over and over and finally a shop follows this advice, sells you the next gimmick and doesn’t admit to upgrading your hardware.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
OK4570 Please read your last sentence.
Your post "Hitting a bump was introducing my wobble & it would wobble till I almost came to a complete stop."

"If you had bump steer, it would have jerked the wheel and then back to normal." My last sentence.

You don't have to come to a stop to make bump steer stop, it stops on its own immediately after the bump. If it jerks back and forth until you slow down or stop, you have death wobble......

Parks 788

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Didn't read all the pages but here goes. You said you replaced a lot of the suspention and steering components. But did you check the points of the steering and suspension components that actually attach to the jeeps frame? You could have new or newer track bar or trailing arms, etc but if the areas of attachment to the frame are worn out, cracked or bent then your new parts will easily loosen up and not perform as they should. While some on here say to replace the steering stablizer it can help but generally only masks the real underlying issues. Lots of longtime Jeep owners will tell you that its a matter of minimizing the DW and you will never completely fix the problem.

Latest posts

Top Bottom