Job decisions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artic-Z

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Let me re-word that. Are you adding value to your organization? If you're not in a position where you can improve something or earn some money for the firm or solve people's problems or create something nifty, find a way to fix that. At the end of the day, you've got to look in that mirror and know that you fought a battle and won.

Ah, i got ya now. Then yes I do add value to the company. I am the official problem solver of the company, the IT guru, the UPS shipping expert, the Customer Service professional, the Work order writer & keeper of piece between the 2 female employees...

:hithead: <--after listening to each one biatch about the smell of each others perfume all day long...i cant smell either of them...

JMS

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If it were me, I think I'd go for it. It's not like you can't find another $25k/yr job if it doesn't work out. Really all you are risking is seniority and convenience. Where do you want to be in 5-10 years?

ripnbst

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stay where you are. Working for family and knowing you will practically always have a job is invaluable. how long have you been working there? Ask for a 5% raise and there's your salary gap.

Where do you want to be in 5-10 years?

This is important but you didn't mention anything about opportunity for advancement at either one so I didn't consider it. Your age will determine how important this is too.

Love when people ***** about a job where they have it made.

If they aren't making **** for money then I understand it. A cush job that only pays $20k annually isnt so cush.

WFT

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Don't know if you have kids or not, but a buddy of mines wife worked at TU and because of that their kids got to go there free. Something to consider?

Artic-Z

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Just ask for a raise.

As the business stands, they have no room left to advance my salary. on average some months i know the business has no money in the accounts due to late customers and how the business is ran in general. Getting my father-in-law to change that would take a miracle.

I'll listen to bitching as long as someone is willing to change things for the better. If they want to just sit and ***** well thats another story.

I'm not bitching about my current job. I actually really enjoy it. I don't mine making slightly under 25k a year. but like i said, i work for my FIL,
Im topped out at my salary rating and the only way im gonna make more money is when he dies or my wife buys the business.

guess my real question is, should i take the risk of driving 35 minutes to work, 35 minutes home have no real lunch break, work outside in 100 degree days or 30 degree temperature and possibly not like the new job at all just for the extra pay and potential at getting my foot into the petroleum industry.

I realize its my own decision, just trying to see what other people might do. This thing keeps stressing me out at night...

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
First how important is "quality of life" to you? This means different things to different people. For example, how important is a regular schedule that allows time with your family? Etc., etc.

Fuel Expenses: Can you afford the cost of fuel per month? What's your mpg? Say 20 mpg @ $4.00/gallon (use this as a safe estimate & I'd also figure this at $5.00 if things get bad). 60 mile round trip/20mpg = 3 gallons x $4 = $12/day x 20 days = $240/month plus days for overtime.

Car Insurance Increase = You'll likely see an increase in your insurance rates as you dramatically increasing miles traveled.

Wear & Tear & Maintenance On Vehicle = Should be obvious what I mean.

Second Vehicle Required for Your Family = Since you already car pool, will you need a second vehicle?

Commute Time = Need to consider with 60 mile round trip, you've added a minimum of an extra hour to your day. In rush hour its likely 1 1/2 hour extra.

Seems like any possible increase in take home pay is offset by above.

You also need to consider the fact that you're "last in" at TU, and in times of cutback, you will also likely be "first out". You mentioned some time spent in A/C with the rest outside. Well how'd you like to be spending your days in this heat (and the cold) than facing a crappy rush hour drive home?

Sounds like you have a pretty good deal where you're at currently. Since you are married (kids?), and considering the economy at this time, I'd be more concerned with a secure job at this point.

Good luck.

cinco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sorry, one more thing came to my mind in contrast to above.

What's your current level of education? Seems as you have an aweful lot of good managerial skills already.

If you don't already have a college degree, or completed college, the TU job may give you a better chance at your future. You mentioned free classes perhaps? Are books free (these get expensive)? Would TU be willing to allow some sort of modified work schedule based around you concurrently taking classes? Are there opportunities to take evening classes twice a week? You might be surprised how supportive folks are when they see someone willing to better themselves.

If you went the TU way and took classes for free, well, boy would that be a very good economical deal - considering what a TU education costs.

Would your FIL support your change in jobs, if you presented it to him as you wanting to better yourself, and thus his daughter's/grandchildren's future? That way if things didn't work out at TU you could return?

Perhaps time for a sit down with wifey and FIL?

I wish you all the best in your future.

Latest posts

Top Bottom