Judge Rules In Favor of Man Who Shot Down Drone for Hovering in Backyard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DA 20

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If this has been posted please delete.
Judge Rebecca Ward has cleared charges against William Merideth for destroying a drone which was hovering over his property with a shotgun, claiming the drone was an invasion of privacy, local TV station WDRB-TV reports.

“He had a right to shoot at this drone, and I’m gonna dismiss this charge,” said Ward.

Merideth was arrested and charged with wanton endangerment, along with criminal mischief in July for destroying a drone that was traveling below the tree line.

Merideth’s neighbors saw it too.”It was just hovering above our house and it stayed for a few moments and then she finally waved and it took off,” said neighbor Kim VanMeter.

VanMeter has a 16-year-old daughter who lays out at their pool. She says a drone hovering with a camera is creepy and weird.

http://americanintelligencereport.c...-who-shot-down-drone-for-hovering-in-backyard

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm glad the judgment went this way. We should be able to protect the air space between our grass and the lowest branches of our trees. I saw another story about folks taking out drones with garden hoses.

beardking

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In before the drone pilots claim that spying on your family is their right.
I don't currently fly a drone, buy I want to get one eventually because I enjoy most things rc related. That being said, if I were to find someone hovering their drone over my property, I'd be practicing my wing shooting as well. Private property is meant to be private.

ConstitutionCowboy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Judge Rebecca Ward has cleared charges against William Merideth for destroying a drone which was hovering over his property with a shotgun, claiming the drone was an invasion of privacy, local TV station WDRB-TV reports.

I'd shoot one down that was hovering over my property with a shotgun, too! Even if it was hovering with a pistol, or rifle!

(Some people's use of the English Language can be so laughable.)

Woody

Latest posts

Top Bottom