Jury Duty Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glock 'em down

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've always wanted to be a juror, but because I'm an LEO, I've never had the opportunity. I've actually been summoned twice, but both times, I would receive a call from the DA's office, telling me to disregard the summons.

After being an arresting officer in several cases that went to jury trial, I've always wondered what the jurors were discussing during deliberation. I reckon I'll never know. :cry3:

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard that having a valid driver's license in OK means you are in the pool of eligible jurors, but do they categorize you by the county you live in or some other geographical boundary?

I live in Cleveland county in the gray zone that is SW OKC/Moore/Norman. If I get summoned to be a juror, am I going to get stuck driving to downtown OKC or downtown Norman?
Unless it's a Federal trial, if you're called for jury duty, you're probably going to the Cleveland County Courthouse, which is in Norman, or you're going to the municipal court for the city in which you live. The relevant Federal courthouses are in OKC.

Profreedomokie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
It used to be that way, but I think it got changed about 25 years ago. Back in the day, I knew people who didn't register to vote specifically so they wouldn't get called for jury duty.
I was one of them. I registered to vote for the first time when Clinton ran for POTUS (so I could vote for the other guy). I got picked a few years ago but, I'm a PD volunteer so they told me to forget it.

golddigger14s

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't want to serve just ask about:

Jury nullification occurs when a jury returns a verdict of "Not Guilty" despite its belief that the defendant is guilty of the violation charged. The jury in effect nullifies a law that it believes is either immoral or wrongly applied to the defendant whose fate they are charged with deciding.

Aries

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wanted to be a juror, but because I'm an LEO, I've never had the opportunity. I've actually been summoned twice, but both times, I would receive a call from the DA's office, telling me to disregard the summons.

After being an arresting officer in several cases that went to jury trial, I've always wondered what the jurors were discussing during deliberation. I reckon I'll never know. :cry3:
I was on jury duty in federal court a bunch of years ago and sat on two juries... there's a lot of boring testimony that makes you wonder why they are hammering on this point so hard, but sometimes it's really interesting. The whole process is kind of interesting, and they treat you pretty nicely. It's all great... until deliberations. If everyone just thought the same way I do, it would be fine... but nooooooooooo....! :rollingla

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
I enjoy seeing what makes things tick and court/jury process is interesting to me. Like
@Aries mentioned, the deliberation time gets exciting. We had one guy that was a complete jerk. There was a country girl from kingfisher that climbed over the table to get to the guy. A couple people had to pull her off of him.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

When I worked at the OSBI, one of our co-workers was called for jury duty and was seated in spite of being an employee of the agency. She told us afterwards that during deliberations, a lot of the other jurors had no idea that "Possession with Intent to Distribute" was a more serious crime than simple possession.

Since then, I'm not certain that I would want to be judged by "peers."

Latest posts

Top Bottom