Jury Duty Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I worked at the OSBI, one of our co-workers was called for jury duty and was seated in spite of being an employee of the agency. She told us afterwards that during deliberations, a lot of the other jurors had no idea that "Possession with Intent to Distribute" was a more serious crime than simple possession.

Since then, I'm not certain that I would want to be judged by "peers."

If the situation ever came up, and I hope it never does, bench trial is my option. I was part of a jury pool one summer, that made up my mind.

Pulp

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I lived in McCurtain County for 40 years, never got called. My wife passed away, and I moved to Bryan County. About two years later my deceased wife got a jury duty letter from Bryan County. Obviously she did not have a drivers license or was registered to vote there. Never did figure that one out. Still a puzzlement.

travisstorma

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've always wondered what the jurors were discussing during deliberation. I reckon I'll never know. :cry3:
The trial I was a juror on during Valentine’s Day this year (yes wife won’t let me forget that) we spent probably 2-3 hours of our ten hour deliberation trying to convince a few jurors that you can legally carry a gun in Oklahoma. They thought he was automatically guilty of murder because he had a gun on him and no one can carry a gun because they are illegal outside of hunting…. Im really surprised the defense didn’t bring up the laws on being able to carry a gun.

It opened my eyes up on how dumb average citizens can be and really hope I’m never in a position to where I have twelve of them to determine my fate based on what they think they know or their bias of how they feel on particular laws.

Roadking Larry

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Secret bunker in an undisclosed location.
"Since then, I'm not certain that I would want to be judged by "peers."

I wouldn't mind being judged by a jury of my peers. But, what I'd most likely end up being judged by is a jury of booger eating, slack jawed, mouth breathing morons, in other words the general populous.

Last edited:

davek

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've served on a couple of juries. I wish they'd have filtered out those people that watch the TV shows where there is a crime lab. Some people seem to think there should always be some lab evidence like they saw on TV.

I don't understand why people want to evade jury duty. It's inconvenient as can be, but it is our duty as citizens of the United States. If you are trying to weasel you way out it just because it's inconvenient or boring then grow up, do your duty.

Raido Free America

Radio Free America
Special Hen
Reaction score
I heard that having a valid driver's license in OK means you are in the pool of eligible jurors, but do they categorize you by the county you live in or some other geographical boundary?

I live in Cleveland county in the gray zone that is SW OKC/Moore/Norman. If I get summoned to be a juror, am I going to get stuck driving to downtown OKC or downtown Norman?
I thought it was from voter restoration? What ever it is, it's a pain in the rear! I have been called twice in Creek County, and once on a federal jury duty, in the last 40 odd years.Kinda amazing to watch, some people will lie like a dog to get on a jury, and others do the same, to get off an jury!

ramco

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I felt the same way about juries too Terry. After 29 years at OCPD and 13 more at OSBI, the last 25 being in the firearms lab, I testified over 300 times in firearm related cases, mostly robberies and homicides. We used to joke that someone’s future, and possibly life, were being decided by 12 people too stupid to get out of jury duty. Many of the trials I was involved in were at least a week and filled with lengthy technical and/or scientific testimony that nearly put jurors to sleep.
On another note, does anyone remember one of Perry Mason’s cases ever making it to a jury? It seems like he was always able to elicit a guilt statement from someone not on trial and always right there in the courtroom.

osu007

AKA: Fat Jack, Believer in God
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have been called three times.

The first time I was also a witness for the prosecution.

The second was a federal court in OKC for the guy that stole an M203 from his unit.

The third was a 2015 murder I was called for this year.

I didn't get to play because of my LE career.
You got lucky. I was active popo and pulled that card. They said, “Well, come on down anyway we may use you for a civil case. Boy was I whizzed off.

Chief Sapulpa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Where they bust the sod in South Tulsa County.

Latest posts

Top Bottom