Just got an alert attempted bombing in okc

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I don't remember McVeigh having some vetted network to rely on.
At the time he pulled his bombing, you could obtain specific instructions off the .gov websites to build mini bombs using Ammonium Nitrate and fuel to blow stumps from a field being cleared.
He just went one step bigger.
This guy could have very easily researched the internet to see what to do. Its no secret needing some big organization. It's not even illegal to buy or possess Ammonium Nitrate currently. Most fertilizer supply COOPS quit carrying it though because of the massive amount of paperwork it takes to sell and and the paperwork involved in buying it.
It's actually a better fertilizer for the farmers.

Last edited:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't remember McVeigh having some vetted network to rely on.
At the time he pulled his bombing, you could obtain specific instructions off the .gov websites to build mini bombs using Ammonium Nitrate and fuel to blow stumps from a field being cleared.
He just went one step bigger.
This guy could have very easily researched the internet to see what to do. Its no secret needing some big organization. It's not even illegal to buy or possess Ammonium Nitrate currently. Most fertilizer supply COOPS quit carrying it though because of the massive amount of paperwork it takes to sell and and the paperwork involved in buying it.
It's actually a better fertilizer for the farmers.
ANFO is easy to make on one's own sure enough but the primary explosive used to detonate it is NOT.

In the OKC bombing McVeigh and Nichols broke into a mining company storage and stole Tovex booster and the blasting caps that were the primary.
As a matter of fact, some of the remaining stolen blasting caps were discovered on Terry Nichols KS property by the FBI.
That all came out at trial.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
If you don't think McVeigh had a support network then you are either hopelessly ignorant or just being obtuse to try to score a point.

At least one other person was convicted for giving such support and another copped a plea.

Last edited:

Chuckie

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A person with the actual capacity to pull something like this off almost certainly would have.
And a person who would know the difference is probably smart enough to not try something like this in the first place.

Off the top of my head I can't remember a recent case in which the FBI busted someone who legitimately had something going, it has been the FBI pulling one of their classic stings. I'm not saying there aren't other cases, just that all the recent ones I can come up with were stings.
Perhaps the FBI is trying to convince everyone that domestic terrorism is a constant 'wolf at the door' even if they have to orchestrate incidents to 'prove' it. Things like this is a must for their credibility when it comes time to beg for more operating money.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps the FBI is trying to convince everyone that domestic terrorism is a constant 'wolf at the door' even if they have to orchestrate incidents to 'prove' it. Things like this is a must for their credibility when it comes time to beg for more operating money.

Exactly. When the headline is "FBI stops attempted bombing" when there was no bomb...it is absolutely a PR stunt, at least partially. I'm sure there is some deterrent effect but not sure how to measure that.

Last edited:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
"Zero capability"? He wanted a 1000lb ammonium nitrate bomb specifically like McVeigh's which was 6000lb. Shouldn't be too difficult for the average adult to accomplish.

Some folks might have made the same caustic statement if FBI had been able to stop McVeigh.
McVeigh worked for the FBI and ATF. He was their Nancy,
Wake up.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Exactly. When the headline is "FBI stops attempted bombing" when there was no bomb...it is absolutely a PR stunt, at least partially. I'm sure there is some deterrent effect but not sure how to measure that.
No PR stunt, they wanted him in jail and there is a MUCH better chance of "do not pass go" if they can get him on attempt rather than conspiracy to pull it off. No different than a drug deal, it has to go through completely to get em on solid charges.

Latest posts

Top Bottom