Keystone Lake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looking for information on Keystone Lake. Good/bad? Got a few days of vacation I need to use in August so thinking of a 3-4 day trip with the boat. Have never been to Keystone but size is good(26,000 surface acres) and depth(72'). Kind of narrowed down to Keystone or Tenkiller. Like Tenkiller but the extra hour or so of driving pulling the boat isn't appealing.

As for places to stay, there are some cabins in the state park available but when looking more closely on Google Earth they're 'duplexes' with a 1 bed/1 bath cabin adjoined to another 1 bed/1 bath with a common wall in the middle. Don't really want that since we'll have our dog and who knows what kind of neighbors you might have for the weekend.

Anyone stayed at Bear's Glen Cabins? Apparently there's a bears glen cove just North of where the lake/river goes under the Sand Springs Expressway(just from looking at Google maps).

Any input is appreciated as long as it's about Keystone Lake and/or Tenkiller. Thanks!

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
...as long as it's about Keystone Lake and/or Tenkiller.

Have you considered bogstink lake right next to there? It's got no fish, but it smells just awful! Great place to vacation with the mother-in-law!

Seriously though, both are great. Have fished keystone several times, last was back in 2018 I think. Boat friendly and full of fish. Tenkiller's good too, but gets very busy with jet fleas and idiot kayackers (speed bumps).

We stayed in a VBRO cabin there, but it's not up for rent anymore so can't help there. Do watch out for snakes though. Saw two pigmy rattlers in the water while we were up there.

Settled_Nomad

"Be Curious, Not Judgmental." -- Ted Lasso
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
We love boating at Keystone Lake. It's only 1.45 hrs from N OKC/Edmond. The water is pretty nice, and there are lots of sandy beaches. There are few nice larger beach areas where lots of boats congregate and socialize, but that's not for us. The one thing I don't like is the stupid ATV/Side-by-side people driving on the beach right in front of where our kids play. Their loud music and the exhausts noise ruins serenity. We now look for smaller, more remote areas to get away from the crazies.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keystone water quality isn't nearly as good as Tenkiller (I think Skiatook is best in this region). However, Keystone has been on absolute fire for paddlefish, white bass/stripers/hybrids and crappie if you like to fish. I can't speak to amenities as all I ever use are the ramps.

Settled_Nomad

"Be Curious, Not Judgmental." -- Ted Lasso
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Have you considered bogstink lake right next to there? It's got no fish, but it smells just awful! Great place to vacation with the mother-in-law!

Seriously though, both are great. Have fished keystone several times, last was back in 2018 I think. Boat friendly and full of fish. Tenkiller's good too, but gets very busy with jet fleas and idiot kayackers (speed bumps).

We stayed in a VBRO cabin there, but it's not up for rent anymore so can't help there. Do watch out for snakes though. Saw two pigmy rattlers in the water while we were up there.
Whether it's in the Gulf, on the River, or the Lake...same old mentality that causes guys to compensate shows up, doesn't it?

OKRuss

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Appreciate all of the replies. Booked a cabin at Bear's Glen Cabins on Keystone. Got good reviews. I doubt I'll be fishing but rather just taking the boat around to a nice, quiet cove(if possible) and throw the ball for Rio. Yeah, it's going to be hot but guess that's just part of the boating experience in Oklahoma! :)

SoonerP226

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We used to have family reunions at Keystone on Memorial Day each year. If you’re gonna get in the water, though, make sure you’re not wearing something you care about, ‘cause it’s gonna get permanently colored Keystone mud red.

Latest posts

Top Bottom