Keystone Lake

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OKCShooter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That's cool. Looks like it could be in the NE of the country. What is that fenced in area next to your house?

Carlton Landing was designed by architects from Seaside (30A) so it has look of Florida coast. Area next to my house is the community garden (it’s changed some since the pic but still has common area and the chicken coop as well as grill and dining area).

It’s a very different style than anything else in Oklahoma and has become a very popular place for vacationing…this is pic of the street my house is in and one of the 3 pools.
IMG_6536.jpeg

Last edited:

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Let us know how the trip goes Russ! I much prefer Tenkiller over keystone. Although tenkiller does get super busy during summer. Go during spring/fall for fishing to avoid all the summer recreational nonsense.

Keystone is a bit boring IMO. It’s huge though

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keystone lake water....
Too thick to drink, too thin to plow
Haven't been on it much, but judge it mostly from the many times I've been around it on Appalachia Bay. It was pretty skanky from there, and when the water went way down there were areas that smelled REALLY bad. Although when the water was way down there were massive stretches of sand to ride which was a gas.

dan45

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
We've stayed at Bears Glen cabins. Really nice and the price was right. A really nice walk from the cabin down to the private boat slip, but it sucked carrying fish and gear back up that hill.
That was 3 or 4 years ago, so maybe you can drive down to the dock now. I don't know.
We have our travel trailer now so usually just stay at Washington Irving.

Toothpick

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Keystone is fed by the Cimarron and Arkansas Rivers which have very different mineral makeup. Maybe the only lake in Oklahoma with a “chemo cline” thus the odor at times.

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, some people just think walking in the middle of the highway is big boy energy. I can't tell you the times I've had one of those "can I play?" idiots paddle right across a major thoroughfare and park right in the middle to suck a thumb, then myself and other boats are having to cut hard to avoid giving them a Darwin award.
Paddling into the main thoroughfare is idiotic. Unfortunately my experience is motorboaters (usually bass guys or drunk pleasureboaters) screaming into coves, running full blast close to fishing boats still or anchored.

Same idiots were a problem when I had a 16 foot motorboat, problem just magnified once I stepped down to a kayak.

It's like the lake is a venue for bad drivers to act out without consequences.

TinkerTanker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Paddling into the main thoroughfare is idiotic. Unfortunately my experience is motorboaters (usually bass guys or drunk pleasureboaters) screaming into coves, running full blast close to fishing boats still or anchored.

Same idiots were a problem when I had a 16 foot motorboat, problem just magnified once I stepped down to a kayak.

It's like the lake is a venue for bad drivers to act out without consequences.
On that first part we completely agree.

However, I'll never believe that kayaks belong anywhere but nice still ponds or roaring rapids. They're just too slow and small to see for everyone else on the lake. It's like you're riding a bicycle on the freeway. You're going to have some close calls, or get hit. It's unavoidable when you're all but invisible.

Re-join us in the 20+ foot boat club, Ted! The fishin's better and the life insurance is cheaper!

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
On that first part we completely agree.

However, I'll never believe that kayaks belong anywhere but nice still ponds or roaring rapids. They're just too slow and small to see for everyone else on the lake. It's like you're riding a bicycle on the freeway. You're going to have some close calls, or get hit. It's unavoidable when you're all but invisible.

Re-join us in the 20+ foot boat club, Ted! The fishin's better and the life insurance is cheaper!
Nah. I like quiet, I like being fit, I like not walking around a chunk of money that only gets used occasionally.
No trailer, no gas, no tags, no big gut...and I catch as many or more big catfish from it as I did with the big boat.

Latest posts

Top Bottom