KOCO 5 report on new handgun law

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I just saw Jessica Shambach report that a new law went into effect on November 1st that requires renewal of handgun liscences after three years.

I had heard nothing about a new law like that. I figured out that the report is mistaken for the law that has the trainging certificate expire after three years. I was worried until I replayed it.

While the banner at the bottom of the screen says "New Law Requires Handgun License Renewal After 3 Years", it goes on to discuss the training certificate.

Then she says that the training certificate expires every three years. That previously they didn't expire. KOCO has this just a little bit wrong I think.

Did any of you see the report?

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand the new law says that your training certificate is only good for three years. Whereas previously they never expired. It doesn't have any effect other than making people actually get there CCP within three years of your class. Why would you not get your CCP as fast as possible? Its more of a matter of relevance, to make sure you are pretty current with the newest laws that the class covers. A lot can change in 3 years, if somebody took it 10 years ago and hasn't paid attention to current law, they could put themselves in a bind.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took my class back in 2011 or 12 and I thought mine was only good for 3 years back then.

Oh well. Like mentioned already, I took the class on Saturday and by that following Tuesday my application was dropped off and on its way.

You didn't mail out your completed app on your way home from the class??

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
From what I understand the new law says that your training certificate is only good for three years. Whereas previously they never expired. It doesn't have any effect other than making people actually get there CCP within three years of your class. Why would you not get your CCP as fast as possible? Its more of a matter of relevance, to make sure you are pretty current with the newest laws that the class covers. A lot can change in 3 years, if somebody took it 10 years ago and hasn't paid attention to current law, they could put themselves in a bind.

Money...and it been a HGL since nov of last year, no concealing!

I was told ,the training cert expired every three years ...which means you have to re-take it...(every three years).

Sounds like somebody is up to something, .gov or instructors?

SDarkRage

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that's the case, then we would have to take the class every three years to maintain our license. Seems like way more paperwork for a state agency to have to deal with. Especially with the way the 5yr and 10yr license since they would end after the 3 year expiration. Having to deal with a million licenses every year, keeping up would cost way more then they could ever make. Plus, the agency would have to make the due diligence to mail out reminders in advance when peoples certs are expiring.

Rod Snell

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Money...and it been a HGL since nov of last year, no concealing!

I was told ,the training cert expired every three years ...which means you have to re-take it...(every three years).

Sounds like somebody is up to something, .gov or instructors?

Boy the BS is flying around the press on the new law. My instructor guidelines from CLEET is that the training certificate requires you to apply for the license within 3 years. PERIOD. Once OSBI has the certificate on file, it is good FOREVER. I don't know why people take the class and then wait years to apply, but now they have to apply within 3 years or take the class over. Instructors may now destroy training records after 3 years. Previous instructions implied we had to keep them forever.

Fredkrueger100

Dream Master
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I took the class on a Saturday and dropped my app off and got fingerprints done the following Monday. That was almost 4 years ago. I wanted to get it in asap. If you cannot afford to send it on then why bother with the class?

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Boy the BS is flying around the press on the new law. My instructor guidelines from CLEET is that the training certificate requires you to apply for the license within 3 years. PERIOD. Once OSBI has the certificate on file, it is good FOREVER. I don't know why people take the class and then wait years to apply, but now they have to apply within 3 years or take the class over. Instructors may now destroy training records after 3 years. Previous instructions implied we had to keep them forever.

Again $$$$money, it seems there's a move to keep people that may be a little tight(poor) of money from obtaining a license.

You know what would Really be Cool ....if the people who took theyre classes could take them back to the original instructor ,and got a New updated one.

I mean if youve taken one...whats the difference?
Similar to the hunters safety course,do they expire if you dont renew your hunting license?

Just an idea....atleast ..Slow down the Train Wreck...8)

Latest posts

Top Bottom