Large pistol primers vs small in 45 ACP ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangfire

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've got around 200 pcs. of once fired, resized and tumbled Federal Champion 45 ACP brass that has the small pistol primer pockets......since I always seem to be unable to find a few cases after firing on the range I figured I'd just reload them till they all slowly disappeared. :)

I'm not opposed to using the SP primers for 45 ACP but I just wondered for those that have did you use the same powder charge as you do when using LP primers and was there any noticeable difference in the accuracy, POI or velocity that you could tell ?

If it matters I'll be using W231 powder and 230 gr. FMJ ball bullets in a M1911.

Last edited:

Cat City Slim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load all sp 45 auto. I typically see about 20 fps slower velocity with the small primers. If that bothers you, you can use sp magnum primers and you shouldn't see any difference in velocity.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When i was testing them small vs large in 45acp I used all the same head stamp and found less variation in velocity with the small primer. But just a little.
I used bullseye powder and cast 200gr bullets.
On paper though I could not tell any difference.

Fyrtwuck

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I load and shoot it all the time. I don’t have to change the primer assembly on my 650 and it’s fun to listen to people cussing when they pick up my brass and see that it’s SP 45.

Almost as much as fun as watching people pick up 45 GAP brass and realizing it isn’t ACP.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Whoever brought the insane idea of SP .45 ACP brass needs to be tarred and feathered, then ran out of town on a rail.
I throw the SP in the brass scrap bucket to be disposed of properly.

turkeyrun

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Other than the PITA to separate, I see no difference.

IF, I'm going to be in a situation where I know I will probably lose brass ( in the pasture ), I carry the SP.
I wish brass was one or the other, not both. But, I'm too cheap to just throw it away.

I do

Latest posts

Top Bottom