Lawmakers make the "Hands Up Don't Shoot Gesture"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Saw this on Newsok.com a bit ago. Seems like this is becoming the fashionable thing to do. Or are they just St. Louis Rams wannabes?

(from newsok.com)

Several lawmakers took to the House floor Monday evening to make the “Hands up, don’t shoot,” gesture to protest the police shooting of the unarmed Ferguson teen, Michael Brown.

“Hands up, don’t shoot. It’s a rallying cry of people all across America who are fed up with police violence,” Rep. Hakeem Jeffries (D-N.Y.) said as he took the floor. “In community, after community, after community, fed up with police violence in Ferguson, in Brooklyn, in Cleveland, in Oakland, in cities and counties and rural communities all across America.”

Story Continued Below

Jeffries added that people are fed up with injustice, a broken criminal justice system and “continuing to see young, unarmed African-American men killed as a result of a gunshot fired by a law enforcement officer.”

(Also on POLITICO: White House debated Ferguson trip)

“Now this is a problem that Congress can’t run away from and the [Congressional Black Caucus] stands here today to make sure that Congress runs toward the problem,” Jeffries said. “That we come up with constructive solutions to breaking this cycle, this epidemic, this scourge of police violence all across America.”

Joining Jeffries were Reps. Yvette Clarke (D-N.Y.), Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas) and Al Green (D-Texas), who praised the handful of St. Louis Rams’ players for also making the “hands up” gesture as they entered the field for their game on Sunday.

“This has become the new symbol, a new statement, a statement wherein people around the country now, are calling to the attention of those who don’t quite understand that this is a movement that will not dissipate, it will not evaporate. It is a movement that is going to continue,” Green said on the floor.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/12/lawmakers-ferguson-hands-up-113254.html#ixzz3KlOlnfpz

mouthpiece

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Should be "pants up, don't loot"
And saying that it's "police violence" give me a ****ing break.
Yes, a few bad apples don't make em all bad and I'm not saying that officer Wilson is bad, it just sounds like they're saying they are all bad.
Real simple, Don't make your self a target and you won't get shot.

Commander Keen

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It's nice to see that the CBC is looking for ways to curb the ghetto thug culture that leads to these types of events. Surely that's what they mean by "constructive solutions", right?...

Boehlertaught

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, constructive solutions, I get it. What I don't get is what agenda folks are on sometimes. I come away from too many of today's issues with a "what were they thinking when they did that" question in my mind.

twoguns?

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I dont understand where people get the idea that hands up is a defensive move...put up your dukes.....its an offensive motion.

I got $0.05 that says no one had the guts to quote, "Pants up, don't loot". ..whats wrong with that?

TedKennedy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm surprised any congressperson could take their hands out of the peoples's pockets long enough to put both of 'em up.

^^^^^ you got that right!
I am stunned by the callousness of so many here, joking about what's happening to our young men in these blighted urban areas. Truly a shame, just think, what would Michael Brown be doing today, if he hadn't been violently takien down at such a young age. I just hope he didn't leave behind any children that now will never know a father.

Latest posts

Top Bottom