Let’s talk 2506 Caliber

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Okie4570

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
A .257 bullet out of 30-06 case rather than a .308 bullet.

125gr Hornady factory ammo 3006 going 2700 fps
vs
120gr Federal factory ammo 2506
going 2890 fps

I know which one I'm choosing for deer and hogs in OK :) Unless you want to shoot heavier bullets of course.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
400+ lb hog instant death with 1 55gr V-max every deer i shot with the 55gr died with 1 shot and no tracking needed.
Would not bother me a bit if I had a 25-06.
Only thing that would bother me is finding components to reload for it and I do not want anymore guns to reload for.

:)
The key to any caliber is shot placement and bullet selection.

The .223 55gr V-max by Hornady is explosive and acts like a hand grenade going off inside animals.
The 55gr SP Hornady is a non explosive bullet in my testing and buddy shot 2 deer with it in the same place on the deer
and they ran off over 500 yards.

I will never shoot that bullet at a critter again.
The 55 V-max none of the deer or hogs made it farther than 20 feet. And that was 2 deer and only 1 hog.
All the rest were bang flop.

I had to mention bullet selection.

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Like Dennis said you can pretty much kill anything in north america with a 25.06. I might not hunt Grizzlies or Elk with it, but it'll probably get the job done.
I have one but really don't like shooting it because it kicks hard enough to jar my kinfolks in Scotland. I much prefer my 357 Henry for deer and pigs.

Last edited:

DRC458

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
@dennishoddy pretty much nailed it. I wouldn't use it for elk, but I know elk have been taken with even lesser cartridges. If you handload, try the Sierra 90-grain hollow point GameKing. Buddy of mine shot .25-06 for years and that was his 'go-to' bullet. We have also loaded that same bullet in several other .25-caliber cartridges and had good luck. .25-06 is great for deer, antelope, hogs and about anything else in North America except the big bears and elk.

Gunbuffer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
The round is fast flat and has moderate recoil.
the biggest limitation of it is in its case design. It will never be a sub moa super duper tack driver but for hunting and reasonable distances great round.

crrcboatz

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Like Dennis said you can pretty much kill anything in north america with a 25.06. I might not hunt Grizzlies or Elk with it, but it'll probably get the job done.
I have one but really don't like shooting it because it kicks hard enough to jar my kinfolks in Scotland. I much prefer my 357 Henry for deer and pigs.
Wow not as bad as some. Irate it with my 308 but less than and old 762/54r mosin

Latest posts

Top Bottom