Let the Venison jerky begin!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Werewolf

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
alright guys i gotta question. i've always made jerky in the oven, but i got a dehydrator & some pre-packaged jerky mix for Christmas. the jerky mix is a dry seasoning/cure. instructions say to make sure meat is cooked to at least 165 degrees for 30 minutes, then follow dehydrator instructions. dehydrator instructions say to boil meat in marinade for 4-5 minutes, but with the mix there is no marinade. so should i cook the meat before dehydrating? & if so how?

165 for 30 minutes?

Don't precook the meat. Lawyer CYA crap...

Make the marinade and soak your pre-cut strips over night. Drain and place in the dehydrator. The thickness of the cut strips will determine the drying time. I like mine thick - like 3/16 or even a 1/4 inch. It usually takes 8 to 10 hours with that thickness. Get 1/16 or 1/8 and you can have ready to eat in 4 to 6 hours in the dehydrator.

If you've never made jerky before you're in for a surprise. Great tasting (I recommend sirloin as the meat of choice) and when you're done you'll know why store bought jerky costs so much. (hint - what percent of mammal meat is water?)

Latest posts

Top Bottom