Let the House Demo Begin !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You gotta know when to quit. Spend money on the kitchen and bathrooms, the rest can get a coat of paint and be good to go. You can spend a second mortgage on renovations if your eyes get too big or you have one of those bottomless pit wives that are never satisfied.
Yep. Kitchen and bathroom. The rest is paint.

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if you can even break even when selling a home. Many years of all the major and ancillary costs gotta exceed the sales price.
Generally, no… unless you DIY everything and go with budget materials. Hiring out a home remodel is similar to paying a shop to build you a hot rod car. It’s gonna be way expensive and you’ll never get full return on investment if you sell.

It’s about getting what you want and enjoying it… but if you don’t plan to stay in the home for at least another 7-10yrs I’d watch the budget like a hawk

Ready_fire_aim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Also if you’re going to DIY a bunch of it I advise that you really take your time, and learn what you’re doing. Otherwise a bunch of your work will be terrible to a trained eye.

I see it all the time… I’ve been in the residential construction and remodel business for 13+yrs. It takes training/experience/tricks of the trade/etc… it’s not always easy to make that sheetrock and texture look good, or the tile, or the trim and finish carpentry, etc.

Believe it or not, some of us construction guys do actually have skills, and expect to actually make a living wage too.

That being said I agree what many of these remodeling companies are charging is ridiculous!!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
An updated house will always bring more money when sold
What's updated now will be out of date in a couple of years.
My wife is always watching those home buying shows. Every one of those looking to buy wants to take down the beautiful oak cabinets or paint them white because that is the current style.
Two years from now, the same show will be saying the oak is the new style and everyone has to tear their white kitchen cabinets down and go with the wood look.

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
What's updated now will be out of date in a couple of years.
My wife is always watching those home buying shows. Every one of those looking to buy wants to take down the beautiful oak cabinets or paint them white because that is the current style.
Two years from now, the same show will be saying the oak is the new style and everyone has to tear their white kitchen cabinets down and go with the wood look.
Well that wasn't my last experience. I did all the work and I cant recall what I spent, but paint, new kitchen from the studs out, bathoom...maybe $3000 or $4000? It took me 3 years doing it all after work, few house a day and I sold the house for $67k, I paid $49k in 1993. Small first starter home built in 1955. So I made a little, not enough for my time but back then, I had more time than money lol.

SKATA

Leave the gun, take the cannoli
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Wednesday Update:
So far the kitchen and guest bathroom have been demo'd. The new counter tops for both have been installed and the dry wall / back-splash in both has been installed. Surprisingly all young guys doing it and a great job. I learned what I didn't know and experience matters ! Today the plumber is installing faucets, shut-offs, etc. We get a break for three days and then the flooring demo begins. We were told to vacate the house all of next week. We'll be homeless.
Details to follow . . .

Latest posts

Top Bottom