Let's talk about scent control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slas

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of my time is spent in the blind so I generally don't worry about it there....If I'm up the tree I use scent free soap, deoderant and laundry soap. Also work to keep my boots and hunting gear secluded in a plastic tub. Before even went so far as to brush with baking soda but haven't been able to get rid of that early morning 50 something year old bad coffee breath still......

undeg01

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Most of my time is spent in the blind so I generally don't worry about it there....If I'm up the tree I use scent free soap, deoderant and laundry soap. Also work to keep my boots and hunting gear secluded in a plastic tub. Before even went so far as to brush with baking soda but haven't been able to get rid of that early morning 50 something year old bad coffee breath still......

I usually just rub a little Tinks 69 on my mustache to mask the scent of my breath.

kwaynem

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
IMO you'll never mask it all, cover it up, or eliminate it all, ever, and it just takes one odor molecule to make it to their nose. That said, my dad hunted with a shiny Stanley thermos in one hand and a Marlboro Light in the other, and some how balanced himself on a 4" thick post oak limb and still manage to release an arrow or pull the trigger lol. Scent elimination products didn't exist back then, and hunting in the NE part of the state there was often zero wind, and he still killed a ton of deer.
I can remember hunting with dad sitting on a log and having to look under the Marlboro smoke lol

druryj

In Remembrance / Dec 27 2021
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Scent Control = Making @druryj drive his own car after eating those Braums Hot Links!!!!!

Har Har. don't quit yer day job. Wait...what's that... Saturday Night Live is calling? Really? Cool! They want who to be the host? Oh. Not D.Hargrove.

Deer Slayer

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
When I hunt coyotes, I wash my clothes in scent free detergent, shower with ivory soap, spray with Forget The Wind, put out a dark sock filled with a can of sardines in oil and spray the decoy with rabbit urine. Breath. Then I hunt directly downwind to watch for the coyotes come in and swing into the wind where i pop them. Case closed

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting responses.
I started this thread because the doe I shot last night at 428 yards was crossing my scent cone in 14 mph winds and from that far away the herd of 6 does all came to a halt and started looking right at me. My tower blind is 14' to the floor and have had deer walk right by it at close range as the scent is going over their head. There is also a lot of human activity with people checking fences, etc that do no harm to them year around, so although they come on alert, they also stand down after a bit typically and go on about their business vs public land deer that see every human scent as danger.
I too used to be a scent control freak, even made my own cover scent sprays out of cedar trees and used the damp earth under a pile of rotting oak leaves to create an earth scent. Clothes stored outside, and only put on when getting to the field and so on.
Gave it all up several years back and only work the wind now with stand placement. Since I only hunt private ground, the stands are permanent and its easy to pick where to hunt on a particular day. I try to position my stands so any scent blows into an open area where the deer don't typically go, and if they do and are a shooter, they have no place to hide.
I honestly don't think you can defeat the nose of a deer.

Latest posts

Top Bottom