Lever Action Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a lot of experience surrounding handguns (revolvers and semi-autos) and a good bit surrounding rifles with bolt or semi-auto actions, but I have no experience when it comes to lever actions. I have always wanted one, just never got around to picking one up, mostly due to a lack of knowledge around them.

I have gone through the forums and done some research online, but wanted to see everyone's thoughts here. I want something nice that will last and be reliable, can either be a modern version or an older model, mainly just don't want some discount brand or model with issues. Not looking for anything big bore like 45-70, ideally would stay in the 30 caliber range like a 38 or 30-30, but I'll listen to whatever experience you all have. Anyone have suggestions on what to start looking at? Thanks

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
What will you use if for mainly? Just fun/plinking? I'd get a pistol caliber like a .38/.357. Or even a .22 or .22 Mag. It'll be a lot cheaper to shoot than a rifle caliber like .30-30.

It'll also depend on your budget. The older Marlins and Winchesters are gonna cost you a lot more than a newer gun. They'll also cost you a lot more than something like a Rossi M92.

For just an all around fun rifle, an M92 in .38/.357 would be a good place to start if a .22 isn't what you want.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Oh, yeah... I certainly wouldn't rule out a Henry. I love Henry rifles and own several...all .22 or .22 Mag. The 'Small Game Carbine' is by far my favorite. It's a .22Mag with a 17" octagon barrel, large-loop lever, Skinner peep rear sight with brass front sight. It's surgically accurate and smooth as silk. Reasonably priced, too.

OK Corgi Rancher

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah... I like lever guns, too.

Lever Guns.jpg

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For reliability and "buttery smooth action" (everyone says it that's tried one) you can't beat a Henry. I bought one about 8 years ago or so and loved it so much I started getting them for Birthday presents for my kids. The 357/38 model is light enough to go deer hunting with and put 'em down too. Plus you can shoot the same ammo in your revolver. I just wish they made a 9mm version!

Chaparral

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just some thoughts. the older rifles feel better made to me. try Twisting the rifle butt and the body, test the front grip. If these are loose I would pass. Is the action smooth? Some have a bit of a stick some are buttery soft. Try Marlins, Brownings, Henry’s, Rossis, Savages, Winchesters. Each rifle will feel different. IF it were me I would be looking at 80s and earlier rifles. What calibers are your pistols? It is really nice to be able to share calibers with pistols. I used to use a .44Mag for deer, a 1976 Marlin. I shoot better with an ancient (100 year old) Savage in 30-30. if you are at 50 or 100 yards for hunting a lever is great.

Revolvers4Life

S&W Collector
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just some thoughts. the older rifles feel better made to me. try Twisting the rifle butt and the body, test the front grip. If these are loose I would pass. Is the action smooth? Some have a bit of a stick some are buttery soft. Try Marlins, Brownings, Henry’s, Rossis, Savages, Winchesters. Each rifle will feel different. IF it were me I would be looking at 80s and earlier rifles. What calibers are your pistols? It is really nice to be able to share calibers with pistols. I used to use a .44Mag for deer, a 1976 Marlin. I shoot better with an ancient (100 year old) Savage in 30-30. if you are at 50 or 100 yards for hunting a lever is great.
Thanks for the advice. I have al major revolver/pistol caliber, would definitely be nice to share a common cartridge. I was leaning towards 357/38 as the at is what I shoot most.

Latest posts

Top Bottom