light bulbs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mightymouse

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Ah, the incandescent bulb--the space heater that manages to put out a little bit of light. The reason people place them near their water meters during cold snaps is not to give the spiders light to read the meter by, but rather to keep the meter warm. As modern lighting goes, though, they are very inefficient.

subprep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like the .gov deciding what we, as consumers, can use - BUT, I have been happily switching to LED bulbs at my house...

The .gov is funny, BAN light bulbs, Use Tax dollars to deter cigarette use.

This is my whole point, if you want cfl or led go for it. Its up to you to choose not some govt asshat telling us what we can have in our own damn house. Its not about the lightbulb its about freedom and free markets, if cfls were the best **** ever then they would have crushed the incandescent market, They didn't and since They weren't selling I feel like some cronyism happened and the govt decided to step in and make it happen. All this **** starts with a little nudge and people just take it. Its just a little nudge well eventually someones going to get nudged right off a cliff.

Im in a pissy mood today so just ugh im feeling very ranty.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I miss toilets that will actually handle your business and shower heads that will wash you clean, too!

I like a shower that beats you up, but living in the country on a well and a septic system, the low gallon flush toilets are the only way to go. We did a complete house remodel two years ago, and had to do away with the big shower heads and 3.5 gallon flush toilets.
As far as the toilets, we bought the best available. They are pricey, but they rate them now on how well they flush. Personally, I think they are better than the old toilets. The first models of the low gallon flush used the same tech as the 3.5 flush and didn't work well. The new designs are great. We live 129' above our water well on a ridge, and those pumps are really expensive to replace as they have to develop high pressures to pump adequate head pressure to the house.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-flush_toilet

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm with ya. Those new bulbs trigger migraines in me. I want my incandescent bulbs ... :(

BB, Have you tried the LED bulbs? I wonder if they would bother you the same way CREE makes one that has a color in the 2700K range

If you are really wanting some of the incandescent ones and are not having any luck I think Broken Arrow Electric has them up to 100W.

Repubiman

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I miss toilets that will actually handle your business and shower heads that will wash you clean, too!

I did too, that's why for several years anytime I bought a new shower head I'd pull it a part and drill it out until it released the
kind of output that was acceptable to me for a decent hot shower.

Latest posts

Top Bottom