Loaded Handgun Storage in Vehicle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastep

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The state determined years ago that your vehicle is your private property just like your home. They cannot prevent you from having a gun in your car. Phillips 66 fired a lot of people at their plant in Oklahoma that had shotguns in their car to go quail hunting after work. Like 7 of them. That went through all the courts and brought on the law stating they cant tell you you cant have one in your car.
I work for a distribution center for Walmart and have for 18 years. When I started, they could fire you for having a firearm in your car. There were signs at the end of the driveway and everything. Since that ruling they cant tell us they cant. They even had to take the no gun sign down at the entrance.

rawhide

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
OKCPS legal counsel is behind on his law updates. The article is from May 2015 which was about 7 months after new law took effect allowing gun storage out of view in vehicles in school parking lots, provided the owner has a handgun license.
Lawton Public Schools does not view the law as something they can prevent.
For the OP, if you are a member of OEA or POE, I prefer POE, call and ask one of their lawyers. The lawyer is free if you are a member. That way if the district disagrees you can have the two lawyers discuss the law.

corwin1968

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Lawton Public Schools does not view the law as something they can prevent.
For the OP, if you are a member of OEA or POE, I prefer POE, call and ask one of their lawyers. The lawyer is free if you are a member. That way if the district disagrees you can have the two lawyers discuss the law.

The OKCPS attorney actually sent a district-wide e-mail yesterday, on a totally unrelated subject and I contemplated just e-mailing him and asking but thought better of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom