Lock-N-Load AP Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't think my problem is the pawls; I think the shellplate just drags if I tighten it up more than just finger tight +. Without the bolt, it's smooth as glass.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Got to thinking about when I posted that I keep mine tight. I put the wrench on it and pull it with two or three fingers while using my thumb on the same hand to hold the shellplate. Really I'm just squeezing the wrench between my fingers and thumb. So I guess nobody could really call that tight.

Are your ball detents frozen in your shell plate? Or do they depress under spring tension like they are supposed to? If it's trying to dig an actual groove under the shell plate, it ain't right.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shellplate balls roll and spring up and down freely, so it's not that. As I said, as long as I just go finger tight or so, it's OK - it's when I actually "tighten" the bolt that it drags.....hard. And that's not really cranking it down, either. I guess the remedy is just run it finger tight. Can't remember if he discusses the tightening of it on the video, but then the press on the instructional DVD is the older, non-ezject press, and it has a different bolt and a special insert-style washer.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Shellplate balls roll and spring up and down freely, so it's not that. As I said, as long as I just go finger tight or so, it's OK - it's when I actually "tighten" the bolt that it drags.....hard. And that's not really cranking it down, either. I guess the remedy is just run it finger tight. Can't remember if he discusses the tightening of it on the video, but then the press on the instructional DVD is the older, non-ezject press, and it has a different bolt and a special insert-style washer.

Well I used the older bolt and washer after I converted to ez-ject. The washer for the ejector wire is bigger in dia. and gives a touch more stability to the plate, so I kept it. If it were me, I'd yank the plate, clean it good, color it with a black marker and put it on. Run it through some cycles and pull it off to see if the marker is rubbed off anywhere. Or you could do the reverse and color the plate with the indents in it to see if the shell plate is dragging on it. That's probably the better idea.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Just finished setting up the seating die for .44 mag, and it is smooth at finger tight. Had the audacity to look it up in the manual (was still in the box), and it says to use the allen wrench and tighten it "only enough so that it doesn't come loose". Now I know. One day I'll learn to read instructions, even with an instructional DVD.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just finished setting up the seating die for .44 mag, and it is smooth at finger tight. Had the audacity to look it up in the manual (was still in the box), and it says to use the allen wrench and tighten it "only enough so that it doesn't come loose". Now I know. One day I'll learn to read instructions, even with an instructional DVD.

You do that too? I thought it was only me that did $h!t like that....

Bevenue

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

You do that too? I thought it was only me that did $h!t like that....

I got mine out to look at the pictures. Then it went back into the box.

Latest posts

Top Bottom