Locked Breech versus Blowback ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have read some of the threads where inexperienced shooters sometimes have problems with FTF or FTE because they limp wrist the handgun or fail to grip securely.

What is your opinion or experiences on whether that problem might be greater or lesser with a blowback operated action on say a Beretta 84 versus a locked breech 380 pistol?

I realize the blowback operated pistol will have a stronger recoil spring and will therefore be more difficult to rack the slide.
Just focusing on reliability here.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All the blowback 380's I've ever fired had significantly more recoil than the locked breech .380's. Physics would dictate that self loading actions with more recoil will have less sensitivity to suboptimal handling. That being said, all things are not equal and recoil is only one of many reliability factors. Quality design, materials and manufacturing have more bearing on the subject from my experience. The one physics factor I do think plays an important role is mass of the non reciprocating parts vs. The mass of the reciprocating parts. The higher the ratio is on the non reciprocating side of the equation, the more tolerance to limp existing.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Gtg, the last part of your statement. Are you saying that a heavier slide/lighter frame setup is less prone to limp writing than a lighter slide/heavier frame? Because I think the opposite is true. I get confused at the ratio part.
Ultimately limp writing is a training and gun choice issue. If someone has a lot of issues with multiple guns limpwristing, then some strengthening and revolver shopping is the way to go as I'm sure you agree.

NikatKimber

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator
Reaction score
I think he's got it right. I read his statement as "heavier frame vs lighter slide = less prone to limp wristing". Which makes a Glock a prime candidate.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Gtg, the last part of your statement. Are you saying that a heavier slide/lighter frame setup is less prone to limp writing than a lighter slide/heavier frame? Because I think the opposite is true. I get confused at the ratio part.
Ultimately limp writing is a training and gun choice issue. If someone has a lot of issues with multiple guns limpwristing, then some strengthening and revolver shopping is the way to go as I'm sure you agree.

Sorry if I was unclear, but I meant what you're saying, a light frame is more prone to malf if limp wristed. I would agree with your 2nd statement except for one caveat. If it's a defense gun and your grip/stance are compromised due to direct physical contact with an assailant, or injury by the assailant, it could lead to a malf induced by the compromised situation. That's where I ultimately decided to go away from my Kahr PM9. Under optimal conditions, it worked just fine. Under suboptimal conditions, it would occasionally malf. I didn't get the same issues with the Glock 26, which always worked for me.

Even a revolver is subject to failure, say, if an assailant grabs the cylinder, it's not going to turn when you pull the trigger. :)

Sanford

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
that why you fix a bayonet on the underlug..

It's just tough to find holsters that fit.
olegvolk.net_gallery_d_46877_4_G17_laserlyte_bayonet_1080_edited_web.jpg

Duck L'Orange

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've yet to have a fte from limp-wristing anything larger than a beretta 21a

Blowback will be more "reliable" in terms of long-term, simply because the guns are typically overbuilt for .380 and won't wear out. Recoil springs are like $10, and are pretty much the only thing that'll ever wear out other than the firing pin spring (which typically comes with recoil springs)

They will also be more accurate thanks to the fixed barrel, and have longer barrels too. I honestly think .380 goes from inadequate to marginal when you go from 2.8 inch to 3.8 inch barrels, and I wouldn't trust a true pocket 380 to defend my life.

The slide on a blowback will be harder to rack. Beretta makes a tip-up barrel version of the 84(some other 80 series), but they're really rare.

Recoil-wise, blowback is stiffer. My Cz 82 and pa 63 I used to own beat the living hell out of my webbing in my hand, but wasn't worse than hot 9mm in a Glock 19. Those were 9x18, so I imagine 380 wouldn't be so bad.

It's a wash here, because the locked-breech 380 is gonna be a single-stack polymer pocket auto, and the lighter weight/shorter barrel/smaller grips will make it about as difficult to control as the blowback.

i think the blowback will be more forgiving of limp wrists and be easier to control and keep on target, since they've definitely got less overall muzzle rise. The pocket 380s are "better than no gun" weapons that should only be considered if you can't conceal a compact 9mm.

Latest posts

Top Bottom