Lookin for a .338

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
im lookin for a bolt action .338 rifle. i dont know much about them so im lookin to get learned a little. i dont care if its short mag and ultra mag or what ever. just lookin on what everyone else think i should get. any help would be appreciated. thanks

streetglideok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How are you with recoil? The 338 ruger compact mag shouldnt be a bad kicker, and the 338 federal or 338 marlin should be easy to shoot. 338 win mag should be tolerable but stout, the 338 RUM will be a tad on the nasty end, with the 340 weatherby just a little less.

Huckelberry75

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Firstly, What do you plan on doing with this rifle? Punching paper, playing Mall-ninja Sniper or long range hunting application? This can help some of the guys on here narrow down the choices for you.

Thorgrim

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You need to give more info regarding your intended use, budget, do you reload?.....Just picking any .338 doesn't make sense. They are not all the same in performance either.

David D

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
ok thanks. i just moved to alaska lookin to do some long range hunting. money isnt much of a problem, i do not reload (just because i dont know how to) and i would perfer a new rifle. recoil doesnt bother me much i can get back on target pretty good i think. well thanks for the posts so far i look forward on hearing more. thank you

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a 338 win mag for a while.
It was a custom build on an Enfield.
It really didn't kick all that bad and was dead on accurate.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Alaskan long range hunting, how about a Remington 700 XCR in 338 Ultra Mag?

An older Remington 700 Sendero in 338 RUM would be very awesome for Alaskan hunting. Big 338s will punish you, but they are fun to shoot. You'll want to have it fitted with a muzzle brake. Make a huge difference.

Latest posts

Top Bottom