Oklahoma Youth Hunting Program

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
FB_IMG_1694171975493.jpg

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Who provides the weapons or ammunition?
We do. Many volunteers bring a personal .243, and OYHP owns several .243 that can be checked out by the hunt manager.

We have a couple fund raising events that we attend each year that make this possible. Ammo, replacing a few optics as needed are one of our expenses. We also provide cooked meals. 8 meals X the number of people at each deer camp.

We don't have enough program rifles for the 67 youth that we will introduce to hunting this year. We are thankful for our wonderful volunteers that can bring a personal .243 to the hunt. I never ask a volunteer to loan his/her rifle to someone else. It will be used by the hunter they are mentoring and always within reach.

I have a few of my own rifles that I will loan out at my hunt. I prefer taking my own as opposed to the program rifles as I know they are sighted in and have the ammo they shoot best. Checking out 5 program rifles and then going to range to check sight in or sight in can take a full aftertoon and the weather isn't always pleasant in the available time.

Oklahomabassin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You mentioned.243’s do you use any other caliber?
Its much easier to teach youth with a low recoiling rifle. Our program owned rifles are all .243 and its much easier keeping ammo for one cartridge rather than multiple cartridges.

We happily accept donations of rifles. If it fits our program then we will use it. If not then we would most likely trade for a rifle that does or sell it to fund our program.

Personal rifles need to be approved by the hunt manager before use at a hunt.

Buck98

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have a .270 I could loan but I figured it was probably too much recoil. Less confusion with one caliber. Good luck to all involved.

Do you use factory ammo or does anyone reload for the event? I think I have some .243 brass you could have.

Latest posts

Top Bottom