Looking for old CPU's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndVet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There's three of us that do computer maintenance work in our office. We're putting together a CPU history board for a bare wall. We're looking for one 286 and one 386 processor to add to it.

Anyone got some old CPU's laying around?

Cinaet

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may have an old Shugart 5.25" 5mb (that's not a typo and it's double height weighing about 4 pounds) hard drive if you want it. I can't remember whether or not I threw it away, but I'll climb up into the attic and look if it's something you can use.

sh00ter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
off topic a bit, but I have 2 Pentium Pros and the entire backside looks like a decent amount of 24ct gold...anyone know how much gold is in Pentium Pros?

fustigate

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
off topic a bit, but I have 2 Pentium Pros and the entire backside looks like a decent amount of 24ct gold...anyone know how much gold is in Pentium Pros?

The pins are only plated (since electrons only flow on the near surface). So, for a pound of CPUs, ~4-5 g. Or, about $0.06 per CPU. With the chemical supplies and equipment cost, plus the time, this doesn't hardly seem worth it. Unless you're in a third-world country fortunate enough to take e-trash from first-world countries.

okietom

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Would you want a Superdisk drive? I used to work for 3M/Imation in Weatherford making all of those different diskettes. I can't believe that I don't have some 8" ones or even 5 1/4".

I worked on the 8" line for several years. Then I worked in the coating area and had part in all of them.

Latest posts

Top Bottom