Looking to get into martial arts in OKC... thinking Krav and BJJ. Advice Appreciated

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. HK

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
18 and over. Not sure if Kids will be able to observe. The seminars I attended were adults only, and no place for kids.

zghorner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Muay Thai, Boxing, Jiu Jitsi, Wrestling.... are good combat SPORTS. Yes, there are techniques and methods from each that transfer over but the application is VERY different in real Krav Maga. Something else to consider is mindset. Most people don't get this. But in the ring, on the mat,etc the mindset is not one of wanting to disable/terminate an attacker... It's a game... a game of trading strike for strike (strikes dont even have to be effective.. as long as there is contact you get a point..LOL).... it's also game of endurance.. You know in the back of your mind you have so many rounds so you pace yourself. Rules are followed by all and there is a ref for your safety. Very different. You mentioned most fights end up on the ground, that's not entirely true... BUT regardless whether you agree or not how many people can you fight on the ground on one time? ONE. What if a weapon is involved? I have plenty of surveillance footage of a ground situation getting ugly because of weapons or because of multiple attackers (most people who attack, unless crazy or high usually aren't alone). As for wanting to submit or choke out an attacker because you dont necessarily want to inflict harm, how do you gauge exactly what the intent of the attacker is? You cant ask him "On a scale of 1-10 how much damage/pain/etc do you plan on inflicting on me? I'll make adjustments as needed."... Thats not reality. Not knocking your thought at all.. I get exactly what you mean.. I've been asked questions regarding that. You have to understand where we come from..where we've trained...where we've been and who we associate ourselves with. We train people across the globe that deal with REAL threats everyday... hostage situation, stabbings, executions,etc.. that's the world we came from and that's why what we train others in has to work. As for sparring we train full speed... We use protective gear, but of course for some it takes a while before they are able to do so. Of course we dont throw a hammerfist to the back of the neck at 100%. But the knife attacks, the chokes/holds, the tackles, the ground fighting, etc is all done full speed up to that student's comfort level/experience. The guy who trained me once said.. "I dont have time to teach BS. How can I knock on a mother's door and tell her that her child is dead because I taught them BS?". I think that statement sums up everything I've said here. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to address your message as best as possible.. One last thing... STRIKING STRIKING STRIKING.. Everyone is so caught up in Jiu Jitsu these days.. Every fight starts or ends or sometimes both with striking. You dont need to know 50 ways to throw a jab.. get some good solid basics on striking and with the right mindset and proper training you can do a lot of damage.. And damage, not pain, is what ends a fight.

Its hard to argue against any of that. I especially agree with the part about the importance of striking...ive always though a good boxer/thai boxer would have a better chance in a street fight over a good grappler. Its really hard to pull off an arm bar when someone is elbowing you in the throat or eye gouging etc...People talk about such and such % of fights end up on the ground but forget that 100% start standing up.

Not trying to hijack but does anyone know of a boxing or thai boxing gym near MWC/Choctaw? Ive gotten serious about fitness again for the first time in a long time and the ultimate goal is to get back into MA. Got my diet in check and been doing a good mix of weights and HIIT cardio, rowing, sprints, etc...but would love to replace some running with pad work or sparring.

FOG

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks to OC for the Krav Maga seminar, it was a big eye-opener. Saturday wasn't too bad but Sunday was tougher.

I didn't expect that much full contact action in a weekend drill. My conditioning was better than most and helped me some but the relentless one on one drills of smashing into each other defending different attacks just beat the heck out of me. Not exaggerating, I haven't been this sore from head to toe since my roughstock riding days.

The instructors were no-nonsense guys that obviously knew their discipline inside and out, but yet they communicated well with all the students. The term 'self-defense' was a misnomer, they taught that once assaulted you explode and attack violently and they showed you how to do it but it was realistic and you didn't always win. The principles of REACT, MINIMIZE DAMAGE and ATTACK, ATTACK, ATTACK were drilled into our heads (sometimes literally) all weekend. I'd highly recommend OC's classes but it's not for the faint of heart ... be prepared to go hard.

Reaction score
Hey FOG! Thanks for coming out. It was great training with you. Yes it is a HUGE eye opener. I heard from several people that attended and they all had that to say. Along with "How soon can you come back? I want more!" EVERY SINGLE PERSON left a changed person.. they had a new mindset, they were more aggressive and they understood how quickly a violent attack happens and how it goes down. But more importantly they left with the beginnings of a new skillset to protect themselves. And you can tell people all about it and try to explain it, the "experts" will brush it off, doubt you, etc UNTIL they walk in and their whole world is turned upside down. You have to experience it to truly understand. And all the so called experts realize they've been living in a world of unproven theory and ideas...

I sent an email out to all participants to let you guys/gals know the pics are online.

I want to thank OSA for allowing us to post events occasionally and also a big thanks to those OSA members that have come out to our seminars and camps. No one ever leaves disappointed or doubting. Its a huge wake up call and I would encourage as many of you as possible to attend any future events we have.

PICTURES FROM THIS WEEKEND: FOG will be signing autographs later ;)
http://www.oklahomacombatives.com/node/17

Camach

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Shoot I wish I saw this thread earlier. Will there be anymore seminars this year? :D If not, the monthly fee is quite a good deal, like others have already said. I would have never guessed it would have been that price.

Reaction score
One of the participants from this past weekend is trying to get a seminar together before the end of 2015. He is shooting for some time in November before Thanksgiving. I'll keep everyone posted. 2016 will see us overseas a few times and maybe a few here in the States.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
My wife and I went to this, although we wimped out and didn't go on Day 2. Sorry, guys. I knew it was going to be tough, and I don't mind that at all, I'm just terribly out of shape and was sore as hell. Overall I think it was the right move for me, recouping a bit on Sunday before going back to work. If I had gone Sunday, too, I can't imaging how sore I would have been trying to go back to work.

Overall, it was an outstanding class and well worth the price they charge, much less the OSA discount. These guys (Jeff and Jack) are great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone for training. If I lived in the OKC area, I'd be looking at how I could manage my work schedule to get into the regular training classes.

Thanks a ton for the opportunity, guys, it was great!

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife and I went to this, although we wimped out and didn't go on Day 2. Sorry, guys. I knew it was going to be tough, and I don't mind that at all, I'm just terribly out of shape and was sore as hell. Overall I think it was the right move for me, recouping a bit on Sunday before going back to work. If I had gone Sunday, too, I can't imaging how sore I would have been trying to go back to work.

Overall, it was an outstanding class and well worth the price they charge, much less the OSA discount. These guys (Jeff and Jack) are great and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone for training. If I lived in the OKC area, I'd be looking at how I could manage my work schedule to get into the regular training classes.

Thanks a ton for the opportunity, guys, it was great!

Thanks for the great review!

Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words guys! Really glad to have some of the OSA family out there. We've had OSA members in attendance at the last couple of camps/seminars and they've always been a pleasure to work with.

A couple of the guys from this past weekend are wanting to get together for regular training in Tulsa. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll get everyone connected. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Top Bottom