M1A Socom/Socom II/Bush likes and dislikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I held a SOCOM II yesterday and I like it except it is heavy front wise due to the VLTOR hg. I have never shot a SOCOM or Bush rifle, so what do you loose with the shorter brl? What do you like about them, and what do you dislike about them?
Thanks

Ride Da Fire

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have never shot a SOCOM what do you loose with the shorter brl? What do you like about them, and what do you dislike about them?
Thanks

I shot a SOCOM with a black fiberglass stock, short barrel. I love the badass looks of the rifle. The only thing that I didn't like about was the recoil, it was like a canon, maybe that just me. I love to have one though.

338Shooter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't like the looks of the shorties. If I was in the market for an M1A it would be the National Match or preferably the Super Match or M21 Tactical. Either with walnut stock and SS barrel.

grwd

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I wouldnt get a M1A any shorter than the scout version. No idea why, bet its because of the gas system.

KurtM told me so....

Ozark Tracker

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm kinda like iriediver, I don't think there's any kick at all to mine, I'm right back on target after a shot.

I got plans for it to take at least 1 deer this fall.

Attachments

• Picture 1185 (Large).jpg
    Picture 1185 (Large).jpg
    83 KB · Views: 147

Stillhunter

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Anything shorter than a bush/scout uses a non-standard gas system that SA built up. And is really freakin' loud with the brake.

+1 on that

Per the gunsmith at HandH, the muzzle brake may be replaced with a conventional flash suppressor. cost about 50 bucks.

Two questions I never found answers for:

Why would SA make standard a muzzle brake on a gas operated rifle that is as heavy as the M1a? Is there a problem with the short models they were trying to solve with a muzzle brake?

Except of course in California where flash supressors are forbidden.

At any rate one of the Loaded models fell into my lap via friend of a friend so I didn't end up getting a scout squad

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
At any rate one of the Loaded models fell into my lap via friend of a friend so I didn't end up getting a scout squad

Same here - I don't think you can go wrong with the Loaded model - its exactly the same as the SS National Match model except for the Synthetic stock instead of the NM Walnut and the lack of a hooded rear Sight Aperture.

Great gun for the money.

Latest posts

Top Bottom