M1A Socom/Socom II/Bush likes and dislikes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spiff

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
+1 on that

Per the gunsmith at HandH, the muzzle brake may be replaced with a conventional flash suppressor. cost about 50 bucks.

An FS for an M-14 with a standard gas system might cost $50, but definitely not for a Scout. Guts have to be replaced. SEI has a kit that hasn't been out very long, I'm not sure if they're actually available or not.

http://www.smithenterprise.com/products06.html

udiablo

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Spent too much time with the standard length rifle I guess.

The shorter ones just feel too different (like, something is missing).

Like others, I eventually migrated to ARs but also still shoot the 7.62s often.

Since I grew up training with them, I've always liked the M14 (and M1). They just feel like a "real mans" weapon, even when unloaded, which the AR does NOT.

While I have no desire for the shorter version, it' probably is a better weapon than some of the AR/.308s I've seen.

trbii

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Had a Socom 16 carbine for a while last year. Shot it a couple of times at 25yds., 100 and 200 yds. Used a couple different reloads, 165 and 168 gr. SMK and some FED 168 match ammo from benchrest and loop slung prone. The accuracy with the factory aperture iron sight that came on that carbine was about equal to the "AK-47" type Arsenal rifles that I own. In fact with the ammo that my two Arsenals like best, they out shoot the Socom from 25-100yds. An old Highpower competitor US Army rifle team shooter from the 1950's service era pointed out the loose rear aperture problem to me right off the bat. Maybe they shoot better with $400.00 Aimpoint red dot sights on them. I don't know. I had no trouble getting my $900.00 back out of that carbine, though. A young guy just back from service in Iraq, answered my newspaper ad, took one look at it, nodded his head yes and started laying $100.00 bills down on my gun cleaning table. I set him up with a oiled, broken in 1903 style leather sling, two twenty round mags and four boxes of ammo to boot. He said the squad marksmen had been getting good results with them over in the sand box. God bless them and him. Thanked him for his service.

sumoj275

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I think the full length is what I really want. Nothing keeping me from putting an Ultimak rail and Aimpoint on it....

Thanks for your help guys.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Have a SOCOM 16, since 2005. Have a standard 22", since 1990 or so. Had a Scout (18") prior too the SOCOM. I prefer the SOCOM for myself because it is shorter and the muzzle brake reduces recoil tremendously IMHO versus the Scout. I use it for hogs and deer. We all have our preferences, and for me the SOCOM is great for what I do.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The more I think about it the more I think the full length is what I really want. Nothing keeping me from putting an Ultimak rail and Aimpoint on it....

Thanks for your help guys.

That Ultimak rail will add more weight than you might think, but you may not be toting it around the woods either. I tried one a few years ago on a Garand
just to put a scout scope on it. You might check out the other mounting options such as the 3rd Generation Mount that Springfield used to have and probably still does. I believe that you can purchases the scout/rail mount from Springfield, too, easy to install and comes with the firberglass handguard already cut to accomodate the scout mount.

Lone Wolf '49

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
For some reason I have been wanting a socom II in urban camo.....

SA redid the gas system on the shorties and they have not had any problems with it.

If you want all the rails and added weight then go for it. However, consider what you are going to do with it. The plain SOCOM 16 with the scout rail mount provides most of what one needs/wants for optics. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Top Bottom