M4: Colt vs. BCM

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M4: COLT or BCM?

• Colt

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • BCM

Votes: 19 46.3%
  • Other

Votes: 6 14.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

otis147

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
That's a real beauty, Otis. How much did that set you back, if you don't mind my asking? Did it come from BCM in OD? I'm a sucker for OD guns.

thanks man. i'm not real sure how much is in it right now, i've probably spent more on ammo...
i have a bit of an o.d. fetish, i'm afraid...

this was my first build, but probably won't be my last...
i bought it a little at a time, the complete upper, BCG, and charging handle are all BCM.

i added the magpul furniture.
the lower is a hughes precision, part of a group buy on another forum. most of the lower parts are dpms, some of those are going to be swapped out.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
All ARs are almost exactly the same. Anybody that tells you any different is just being dumb. It is kind of like asking what someon's favorite color is. You can't go wrong with a colt. Some come with more upgrades than others is about the only difference in any of the brands.

At least you got one part right. :thumb:

GTG, great-looking M4. Love the OD scheme. I didn't realize BCM was such a strong player in OSA country. I was really expecting Colt to run away with this. Very ininteresting.

Thanks! The lower is a Noveske 2nd I got with a complete rifle, but the rest is BCM. FWIW, the furniture color on mine is called Foliage Green. It's slightly lighter in color than the OD on otis147's. We've got quite a few savvy AR owners here in OK, so BCM does have some local fans. :)

You sir are correct. They are all the same in the sense that they are not as good as an AK.

You're correct. An AR will not hold a boat in place with a stiff breeze. :D

Ignored Member

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What does Loki offer that Colt doesn't? (not a rhetorical question, really am curious.)

Just off the top of my head, Loki has an 18" dmr profile stainless barrel with rifle length gas that's double fluted and chamberes in .223 wylde. Colt doesn't.
Loki is offering a race ready 3-gun rifle. Colt doesn't.
Loki has a lmos system. Colt doesnt.
Loki has always been willing to do group buys to save us all some money. Colt doesnt.

And, loki is in state and supports/sponsors a lot of local shooting events.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
For a bit? You mean like nearly double?

You'd be surprised. BCM is not cheap...their popularity is reflecting in their prices: BCM isn't as inexpensive as some think, and Noveske isn't as expensive. You can shop around for prices I'm sure, but these are the basic MSRPs.

BCM Mid 16 Mod 0: MSRP $1120ish
Noveske N4 basic (mid): MSRP $1590ish

$470 diff....not near double and you get more add-ons on the Noveske (iMod stock, TD grip, QD end plate etc...)...and IMHO, a better quality rifle.

Glocktogo

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You'd be surprised. BCM is not cheap...their popularity is reflecting in their prices: BCM isn't as inexpensive as some think, and Noveske isn't as expensive. You can shop around for prices I'm sure, but these are the basic MSRPs.

$470 diff....not near double and you get more add-ons on the Noveske (iMod stock, TD grip, QD end plate etc...)...and IMHO, a better quality rifle.

Not to mention a barrel with M-249 spec chrome lining. :)

Trashboat

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I have built and shot more ARs than I care to remember. It does not matter what a upper and lower say. Some are built to just a little closer tolerances but all that does is make the pins harder to take down. Now you can uprgade about every piece on the AR and make it a lot better and you can buy ARs that have the upgrades already done but that doesn't make their brand any better. The only reason to buy one brand over another is because dumbies will pay more for one brand than they will another. Now the billet pieces are considerably better but you have to get a matched set usualy or the won't match up right.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So some company's sell AR's that already have upgrades and charge more but it's not because the upgrades are better it's because the upper and lowers takedown pins are tighter but only if you have a matched billet set that have tighter tolerances. But paying more for a company that uses higher quality parts from the beginning is dumb because a person can buy the upgrades later, thus spending more in the long run. Ah it all makes perfect sense now.

Wormydog1724

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Now this is the kind of intelligent post I can understand. I pretty much agree with what you say

Latest posts

Top Bottom