Man takes on almost 800-pound wild hog

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
More than likely a domestic hog that escaped, still could do a lot of hurt on ya if it wanted to.

As to the DWC comments about wild pigs being a problem and wanting to get rid of them then how about letting us hunt them at night without permission from a game warden, who will not give you permission no matter what and letting use use suppressors so you can drop a few of them without the herd running off after the first shot.

Oh and lots of bacon on that piggy...

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Domestic hogs that size have tusks.

I'm courious about the need for three shots.

If one goes to the Excaliber website for crossbows and connects to the video link, they can watch a lady take an elephant with one shot.

Yeah and John Taylor killed many elephants with a 7mm Mauser but I wouldn't want to try(give me a 505 Gibbs).I've got a 45/70 lever gun for hogs.

r00s7a

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
As to the DWC comments about wild pigs being a problem and wanting to get rid of them then how about letting us hunt them at night without permission from a game warden, who will not give you permission no matter what and letting use use suppressors so you can drop a few of them without the herd running off after the first shot.

You are incorrect on two accounts. First of all, they do grant permission and I have never been refused, nor have I heard of anyone else being refused without a legitimate reason why. I will say that permits are harder to obtain during this time of year without proof of depredation of crops, like pecans, which fall at this time of year. You can't let every swinging richard in the field that owns a gun and a spotlight loose without knowing who and where they are spotlighting. Part of this is just to help field phone calls the GW may receive about lights and gunfire at night. I agree with and fully support this regulation, and I don't see why any law abiding hunter wouldn't either.

Second, please provide your reference that says you cannot hunt hogs, which are not a game animal, with a supressor.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
You are incorrect on two accounts. First of all, they do grant permission and I have never been refused, nor have I heard of anyone else being refused without a legitimate reason why. I will say that permits are harder to obtain during this time of year without proof of depredation of crops, like pecans, which fall at this time of year. You can't let every swinging richard in the field that owns a gun and a spotlight loose without knowing who and where they are spotlighting. Part of this is just to help field phone calls the GW may receive about lights and gunfire at night. I agree with and fully support this regulation, and I don't see why any law abiding hunter wouldn't either.

Second, please provide your reference that says you cannot hunt hogs, which are not a game animal, with a supressor.

I know several guys who have been refused permission to hunt pigs at night.

If pigs are a non game animal, then why does the ODWC state this on there website,
Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: [red]All persons pursuing hogs with a firearm or archery equipment must possess a hunting license[/red] , unless otherwise exempt. In addition, persons pursuing hogs on WMAs open during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess either a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.

Since it is illegal to hunt in oklahoma with a suppressor then hunting pigs with one would be illegal, judging from what I have read above on the ODWC website.

So no I dont believe I am wrong on those two points. To hunt pigs at night you are at the mercy and will of the state.

redmax51

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I know several guys who have been refused permission to hunt pigs at night.

If pigs are a non game animal, then why does the ODWC state this on there website,
Resident & Nonresident License Requirements: [red]All persons pursuing hogs with a firearm or archery equipment must possess a hunting license[/red] , unless otherwise exempt. In addition, persons pursuing hogs on WMAs open during youth deer gun, bear muzzleloader (in open counties), deer muzzleloader, deer gun, holiday antlerless deer gun (in open zones), elk gun (in open counties) and antelope gun (in open areas) seasons with a shotgun and rifled slug, or any rifle or handgun larger than .22 caliber rimfire, must possess either a filled or unfilled license appropriate for the current season, unless otherwise exempt.

Since it is illegal to hunt in oklahoma with a suppressor then hunting pigs with one would be illegal, judging from what I have read above on the ODWC website.

So no I dont believe I am wrong on those two points. To hunt pigs at night you are at the mercy and will of the state.

I thought I had read somewhere they had been "re-classified" as varmints.

Seadog

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its only saying that you have to have a license on you during hunting season. That way you cant be out poaching and saying that you are hog hunting. In the off seasons you do not have to have a license because there isnt one and it will stand out if you were poaching.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I had read somewhere they had been "re-classified" as varmints.

Maybe, I could not find anything on this subject a while back when myself and a couple buddies were talking about this. Website also says you dont need a hunting license IF you are useing a shotgun.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Its only saying that you have to have a license on you during hunting season. That way you cant be out poaching and saying that you are hog hunting. In the off seasons you do not have to have a license because there isnt one and it will stand out if you were poaching.

Website also says that pigs can be taken during any hunting season, so then yes one would need a hunting license on you, or the gw could say you are hunting illegally.

dieseltech09

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I may be wrong but this is how I read it. On public land you can only hunt hogs during an open hunting season and only using methods allowed during that season. On private land there is no season, no approved method of harvest, no requirement to even have a license or hunter safety card.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I may be wrong but this is how I read it. On public land you can only hunt hogs during an open hunting season and only using methods allowed during that season. On private land there is no season, no approved method of harvest, no requirement to even have a license or hunter safety card.

Maybe, BUT there is normally some critter in season, so you would need to have a license with you, otherwise you could be accused of hunting illegally whatever is in season. The ODWC needs to make this a more clear matter, IMO.

Latest posts

Top Bottom