Marcus Smart Shoves Texas Tech Fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10426105/marcus-smart-oklahoma-state-cowboys-shoves-fan

I don't see a post about this from anyone else, sorry if the search I did missed it.

I am not sure what to think of this for sure. Go to the link for the story and a video of it.

On one hand, I say the player should absolutely keep himself in control- it is one thing to react to players but you have to ignore the fans.... Smart seems more and more crazy the more frustrated he gets with the wildly disappointing season- (in no small part to Cobbins being out in my opinion).

On the other hand, Smart claims the fan said some racial slurs. I can see that causing him to react when you are frustrated at losing a game after losing so many others and accidentally reacting when it is said in that particular moment.

On the third hand though, who knows what was actually said or did. It is clear that particular guy said something to Smart, but it could have been "OSU SUCKS" for all we know. It wouldn't be the first time someone falsely played the racist card to get out of trouble.

I would be willing to give Smart a lot more leniency if we knew what the fan said, but unfortunately I don't see how we will ever know for sure and all we can see is Smart reacting when he shouldn't have. Sorry for the disappointments that continue to compound upon yourselves this year OSU.

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Stupid move from a player whose team is imploding. No excuse for it no matter what words came from the fan's mouth. Is the fan a piece of trash? Probably. Still inexcusable.

BigDiezel

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Think the fan stepped on his hand aswell, but still no excuse for the players actions. Needs to control himself. And the fan is just another POS..

shootermcgavin

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Agreed. Smart is definitely not living up to his name these days.... However, the fan is a bloody disgrace it appears as well. Here is a video of him from another game, you can see the fan at around 31 seconds. No matter the degree of trash that the fan is Marcus has to be Smarter than to react to him though- I agree with that.

Last edited by a moderator:

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Travis Ford has lost control of the team, in particular Marcus Smart. Never been a fan of Ford from day one. Should have just hired a driver for Eddie. Although I hear rumors of a very successful coach at Wichita State that would be a huge upgrade.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Agreed. Smart is definitely not living up to his name these days.... However, the fan is a bloody disgrace it appears as well. Here is a video of him from another game, you can see the fan at around 31 seconds. No matter the degree of trash that the fan is Marcus has to be Smarter than to react to him though- I agree with that.
Good find. Evidently the fan is a well known piece of trash.

JD8

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Now I was told right here on this here forum that OSU fans and players have highest standards of integrity and class. :D

Talking heads are saying the "N-word" was used. Who knows if that's a copout or what. Wouldn't surprise me a bit considering the Tech fans I've come across going to OU home games.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It has been confirmed that the TT fan stepped on his hand and told him to go back to Africa, N-word. This particular fan has been touted by Texas Tech as their number 1 fan, for real. His name is Jeff Orr. while I agree that Marcus should have let it go, in the heat of the moment, being 19, having one of the WORST coaches in the league who has no control over his team and is actively flushing all the great things that Eddie built down the toilet, stuff like this will happen. I have been an outspoken opponent to Travis Ford, he is self-absorbed prick that does not care about the school he is coaching for.

While Marcus should have let it go, he is 19 years old, I don't care if he is a star athlete or not, it is pretty hard to control your emotions in such a situation, especially given the season they are having. A 55 year old a-hole, however, should damn well know better than to pull something like that. I wonder how the TT player who actually grew up in Africa feels about this....

Latest posts

Top Bottom