"Marines", "Rangers", "Snipers" and ******** Artists

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Sadly, this phenomenon goes back many years, as demonstrated by two Willie and Joe cartoons from WWII. The Willie and Joe cartoons were drawn by Bill Mauldin. The 45th Infantry Division Museum in OKC has a lot of originals of his work.

Garritroopers

He Ain't No Combat Man. He's Looking for a Fight

My time was not in combat. It was in the Northwest Frontier of what was then known as West Pakistan. The NW Frontier is close to where Bin Laden was found.

doctorjj

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
It makes me mad primarily because my father actually was in Vietnam and was in the 101st Airborne. He was involved in Firebase Ripcord. He has all the photos and medals to back it up. He never talks about it and has never told my mom, me or my brother why he got his Bronze Star. It makes me mad that other people try to get credit for things he actually did. And if he ever mentions that he was 101st Airborne Recon, I'm sure a lot of people automatically think he's FOS directly because of all these clowns claiming similar things.

AKguy1985

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've told this story before but I work with a guy named matthew marshall. He is supposedly an army ranger medic paratrooper, and an author of a book called "pay at the pump".
He tells all sorts of outlandish stories about being in desert storm and having 100+ iraqis surrender to him while he was taking a leak. And he got shot in panama supposedly. Then, there is supposedly another story about him being attacked by baboons and fighting them off with a 1911.

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I've told this story before but I work with a guy named matthew marshall. He is supposedly an army ranger medic paratrooper, and an author of a book called "pay at the pump".
He tells all sorts of outlandish stories about being in desert storm and having 100+ iraqis surrender to him while he was taking a leak. And he got shot in panama supposedly. Then, there is supposedly another story about him being attacked by baboons and fighting them off with a 1911.

Busy guy, being all over the Middle East, South America, and Somalia.

The whole "x-number of the enemy surrendered to me" has become a phenomenon unto itself. Since York took all of the German prisoners, I've seen lots of guys claiming to have done the same thing. I LOLed at one clown on the History Channel (aka, Propaganda Channel) who claimed to have done the same thing near the end of WWII. And it was some German officer who turned in the bulk of the Fuehrer's army to him. He said he also brought back the officer's pistol as a war trophy, but now can't find it. Sad thing is, there are plenty of people who are so blinded by the ******** that they believe guys (and TV programs) like this.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
It makes me mad primarily because my father actually was in Vietnam and was in the 101st Airborne. He was involved in Firebase Ripcord. He has all the photos and medals to back it up. He never talks about it and has never told my mom, me or my brother why he got his Bronze Star. It makes me mad that other people try to get credit for things he actually did. And if he ever mentions that he was 101st Airborne Recon, I'm sure a lot of people automatically think he's FOS directly because of all these clowns claiming similar things.

My dad was a Ranger with the 101st as well. Though he's gone now and I never knew him much, I do have some of his records and his award letter for his Bronze Star. I was told he also had a Purple Heart with two clusters, though i don't have records of that. One of these days I need to figure out how to petition the DoD to have his medals reissued so I can put them all in a shadowbox with his commendation letters and such.

Not sure how much of what I have been told about my dad was BS, though, as well... but I do know about the Bronze Star.

Last edited:

uncle money bags

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My dad was a Ranger with the 101st as well. Though he's gone now and I never knew him much, I do have some of his records and his award letter for his Bronze Star. I was told he also had a Purple Heart with two clusters, though i don't have records of that. One of these days I need to figure out how to petition the DoD to have his medals reissued so I can put them all in a shadowbow with his commendation letters and such.

Not sure how much of what I have been told about my dad was BS, though, as well... but I do know about the Bronze Star.

This should get you started in the right direction.
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/replace-medals.html
http://www.archives.gov/veterans/military-service-records/standard-form-180.html

dugsok

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This story reminds me of pvt Hood 1954 we all got out of boot camp(MCRD) in April, well that summer I saw him in LA, you would think he was an old China marine with his chest full of metals.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score

Busy guy, being all over the Middle East, South America, and Somalia.

The whole "x-number of the enemy surrendered to me" has become a phenomenon unto itself. Since York took all of the German prisoners, I've seen lots of guys claiming to have done the same thing. I LOLed at one clown on the History Channel (aka, Propaganda Channel) who claimed to have done the same thing near the end of WWII. And it was some German officer who turned in the bulk of the Fuehrer's army to him. He said he also brought back the officer's pistol as a war trophy, but now can't find it. Sad thing is, there are plenty of people who are so blinded by the ******** that they believe guys (and TV programs) like this.

With regards to the "100+ Iraqis surrendering," I remember a story from Desert Storm where Iraqi soldiers were trying to surrender to some news media. Thus, that part of his story just might be true.

LightningCrash

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I had a guy that I worked for that somehow worked the Loma Prieta earthquake and chased Manuel Noriega in the US Army Rangers at the same time. He was in every military conflict from 1988-1998 and also worked every natural disaster during that same period. Claimed he had blackbox full auto weapons that were used in special ops and had no serial numbers... he said his unit was transported by helicopter a lot and on the trips back they would make a pass over the ocean where they were supposed to punt the weapons out the door, but he says he didn't, that he kept all of them. So he has a SAW and M4 and etc. Oh yeah sure.

He also claimed he didn't owe me $30,000 in invoices, but I finally bugged him enough to where he paid all but $1,000, and I was finally tired of chasing it. Had to move on.

But on the other hand I had a guy who worked for me who was in the Army and then in the Rangers. Most of his stories were about how bored they would get, the stupid crap they would do and how much trouble they would get into when they did stupid/boredom stuff.

Latest posts

Top Bottom