Melanoma?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
School me on melanoma, I know nothing about it outside of the stuff on the web. Anyone had it? How serious is it?

Wife was told today a thing they cut off her arm is melanoma and they are going to remove the rest of it soon. She is scared and all the stuff we found on the web is designed to get you to go to this or that cancer treatment center.

John6185

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Tell her to rest easy and that she is under the care of a physician who has her best interest in mind. She'll be alright, they'll simply remove the tissue and followup periodically. If it is only localized in the tissue, they'll remove it along with some healthy tissue (skin) to make sure they've removed all of it. The margins have to reveal no melanoma. TRidiot need to jump in here and correct me somewhat.

chuter

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a spot of it removed from my neck; it wasn't deep at all and hadn't spread, so I just went back every 6 months for a couple of years for a checkup, never had any problems.

I seem to remember the procedure is long, I spent a lot of time waiting on lab results while on local anesthetic,
but not really painful.

Tanis143

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had a spot removed from head. It would heal, would scab over, scab would come off and it would start to bleed again. Took 2 stitches with a local to cut it out. Doc warned me to always wear a hat now when I'm outside as my skin is now more susceptible for more of it to occur. Especially since I work outside.

tRidiot

Perpetually dissatisfied
Special Hen
Reaction score
All about depth and margins when they cut it all out. Melanoma can be quite serious, but if found and removed fairly early it is imminently treatable. I know lots of people who've had them removed and no further problems.

My prayers for your wife and for you. You guys have had a rough time of it lately, bro.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Her doc said it was the worst type whatever that means. Biopsy about the size of a quarter on her right arm. They are suppose to cut it all out next Thursday.

ignerntbend

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I don't want to muddy the waters, but sometimes a general practice doctor will biopsy a growth that a dermatologist will tell you there's nothing to worry about. They do it just to be safe.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
My wife had some cut off several years ago, and has had no more issues, but she is heavy with the sunscreen now and generally stays out of the sun. She was a prime candidate. Used to spend time in those tanning booths when younger, then spent a lot of time in the sun with me fishing, etc.
Those tanning booths were found to make one more susceptible to melanoma after using them we read.

Latest posts

Top Bottom