Milk Prices Could Double Next Month

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Really, $6 milk is too expensive? I'll pay $6 milk all day long and it won't affect people like $3 gas does. Hell, I'd pay $10 for a gallon of milk. IDK why those guys work like that to scrape by or lose their ass.

I know right? So many things I don't understand. I really don't understand why they just don't raise their prices to make a living. Get rid of the .gov tit and let them stand on their own two feet. I know I'll be buying milk if it's $3 or $6 and so will everyone else. (except for GC :lookaroun)

I don't know the intricacies of the market but I also just don't understand why they can't get by without the .gov tit.

71buickfreak

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
You do realize that the corn mash that is used to make ethanol is sold to famers for feed, right? It is perfectly safe for them to eat and it costs less than straight corn feed.

jrguns

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
The farm bills are good for eveybody. Good for the producer and good for the consumer.

But not always equal. Last year I got over $4000.00 in drought relief and this year I got zero. Seems like the drought was worse this year, feed and hay prices are way up and I had to sell off most all of my heard to make it. WTF. And the milk I bought last night was close to $5.00/gal.

JB Books

Shooter Emeritus
Special Hen
Reaction score
I love milk. Friggin love it. I'm a milk aholic. I buy that Memory Lane in the glass bottles to drink. It's a pain in the ass to wash out the bottles and return them. Don't care. It tastes damn good. I probably put away at least half a gallon a day.

farmerbyron

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I know right? So many things I don't understand. I really don't understand why they just don't raise their prices to make a living. Get rid of the .gov tit and let them stand on their own two feet. I know I'll be buying milk if it's $3 or $6 and so will everyone else. (except for GC :lookaroun)

I don't know the intricacies of the market but I also just don't understand why they can't get by without the .gov tit.

Producers can't just raise their prices like a retail business. We make a product and the market determines the price. We try to hold out for high prices but often the bills to produce make the decision to sell for us.

The end result of no assistance would be a thinning of the less efficient producers and those that survive the initial down slide should see good prices for their product and more opportunity due to less competition.

Thing is that the market is just one factor that determines whether you make it or not. The weather has a large, if not the largest, part in determining a good year from a bad one.

BadgeBunny

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Looks like milk is going to be too expensive if the farm bill continues to languish in congress.

Might have to switch to wine instead.

Beginners guide to wines:

thumbnails.visually.netdna_cdn.com_different_types_of_wine_50cbc61104d43.png

Very nice ...

LOL ... Why?? Is he gonna let me get those dwarf goats now?? :wink2:

Hobbes

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Producers can't just raise their prices like a retail business. We make a product and the market determines the price. We try to hold out for high prices but often the bills to produce make the decision to sell for us.

The end result of no assistance would be a thinning of the less efficient producers and those that survive the initial down slide should see good prices for their product and more opportunity due to less competition.

Thing is that the market is just one factor that determines whether you make it or not. The weather has a large, if not the largest, part in determining a good year from a bad one.

Just playing devils advocate here, I thought that is how capitalism and free markets are supposed to work.
Does RP have it wrong?

Latest posts

Top Bottom