Miller mig welders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
doesn't matter if paint is rough ... mine doesn't look that good. these old tombstone welder put out close to 90v, so starting an arc on imperfect surfaces is a snap. old idealarc tombstone welders are close to bombproof. this model is exceptional! and a total bargain at $350.... heck most Lincoln 225 crackerbox the good one with AC/DC will go for $325 used with puny duty cycle. no where near good as a welder as the old tombstone idealarcs

Cy, I'm going to have to put you on my ignore list. Your heads-up notices about welders for sale aren't doing any good for my wallet ;)

Wonder what this Lincoln welder is like, if the pictured example is not the one being sold. I'm guessing it's in rough condition if it hasn't sold at $400.

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
i would personally get a lincoln. all of the small millers we have had at work for the fitters have been replaced by lincolns. our larger wire fed machines are miller, and they do pretty good. if i were to get a 180 or smaller, it would have to be a lincoln after seeing so many of our millers fail. but i love my miller syncrowave 250 dx for tig.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
extra argon bottle? i've never used 100% argon for wire feed. it's always been 75/25 or a tri-mix

The welding supply would trade an argon bottle for a Mix. If you end up finding an extra I'd like to know. I'm planning on needing one in the near future!

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
yup argon for TIG, 75/25 for Mig.... but you can trade for either one at welding supply
preference is Airgas bottles especially for 200cf size bottles. which Airgas will fill with no fuss vs other places will want proof of ownership.

the best is bottles with no marking on neck ring... those are always user owned bottles.

extra argon bottle? i've never used 100% argon for wire feed. it's always been 75/25 or a tri-mix

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
here's an example of a popular AC/DC welder. it's the high end version of the famous Lincoln cracker box. welds good, but duty cycle is marginal at best. rated at a puny 125amp DC /225amp AC.

no comparison to Lincoln tombstone idealarc described above. rated at 250 amp DC / 300amp AC both at much higher duty cycle. definitely a pro quality machine.

typical used price of $350 for Lincoln 225 ac/dc on craigslist. sells for about $500 new at home depot. in picture below, someone has added longer leads

-----------------
Lincoln Electric AC/DC Welder - $350 (Tulsa Metro)
Date: 2011-06-13, 10:10PM CDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
Works great! Email me for the particulars.

[Broken External Image]

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Cy, you're not helping with your words of encouragement :P Do you know how much the tombstone 250 welder weighs, and what its general dimensions are? Googling it didn't turn up the answer for me, as most of the hits are for the flat-top IdealArco welders.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have screen shots on my computer at home but I dont think it is going to do you any good. I jusat got off the phone with A grainger rep and she said (basically) that the site messed up and that they would not honor the price listed on my invoice.

Too good to be true.............

Well, I just got an email from Grainger - they're welshing on the advertised price, calling it a mistake. They did offer me a 30% discount on the regular price of the Millermatic 180, but I can find better shipped prices elsewhere on the Net. I told them thanks, but no thanks. Like you said, too good to be true.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
tombstone idealarc weight about 350lbs, aprox 2ft x 2ft x 3ft tall
it's not a little machine, but it's not huge either.

the craiglist one is probably long gone...

here's more detailed info:

http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?t=35051

http://www.ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=toolt&th=190031>

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/welding/199633-lincoln-idealarc-250-a.html

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/archive/index.php?t-23693.html

350 lbs? Dang, that's a stout machine! Thanks for the links.

Latest posts

Top Bottom