Miller mig welders

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ooooouuu... Millermatic 211 on the way ... congrats you will be pleased!
you will need a med argon/co2 bottle soon...

Yeah yeah - you're telling me! I've been happy with the simplicity of flux core, but I'm sure I'll be using gas before long. I've already talked with the folks at AirGas about leasing vs. buying a tank. It just gets more and more expensive :rolleyes2

CASTRATE

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks. I asked the "how long does it last" question of a couple welder friends, and their answers were pretty much the same as yours. They also added that I should get the biggest cylinder practical for my needs, as it's cheaper per cf to fill a larger tank than a smaller one.

As for flux core welding and the results of that, yes - spatter is more common with flux core than with gas. But the results, while not as pretty, can still be quite strong and solid. I used flux core to weld up my metal-working table, and at one point, I made a mistake with the alignment of a leg. I couldn't break the two welds I'd made at that point, even with a 4-lb sledgehammer; I ended up having to grind away the welds. Would I use flux core for critical, life-dependent applications? Maybe not, and certainly not with my current level of expertise :D

The quality of the weld depends on the kind flux core you are using. self shielded flux is more convenient because a shielding gas is not needed. dual shielded flux core makes extremely strong and very nice looking welds if you know what you are doing, and less spatter than self shielding flux and MIG. i've welded vessels at work with dual shielded flux that were hydro tested at around 40,000 psi.

Shoot Summ

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed the chips are blue(hot) yet the work piece is cool enough to touch, interesting the way it transfers the heat to the chips....

interesting.. just found this on wilki for Cold Saws
evidently they give the lowest cost per cut of any metal sawing process

been using mine for awhile and didn't understand how it worked. figured out real quick a cold saw cuts substantially faster on thick metals vs std metal chop saw using fiber discs.

does a decent job cutting wood too. needed to chop some 2x4's. the dry saw was already out, so I tried a piece of 2x4... worked good.

----------------

A cold saw is a sawing machine that uses a circular saw blade to cut metal. The name "cold saw" comes from the cutting process they employ. These sawing machines transfer the heat generated by cutting to the chips created by the saw blade. Therefore, the blade and material being cut remain cold, unlike an abrasive saw, which abrades the metal and creates a great deal of heat in the metal and cutting blade.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Fired up the Miller 330 A/BP and she welds sweeet ... turns out to a single phase 220, not 3phase.
needs a 100 amp service to deliver the full rated 450 amps. found out by reading welding forums, will run fine on 60 amp service to 300 amps. need to find a foot pedal with twist lock connectors. an adapter is available for $90, might as well find an old pedal for that.

tyromeo55

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well, For those who care...
I went all out and ordered a Miller 180, A miller pro hobby helmet, cart and machine cover. The decision to go to the 180 orcer the 140 was a no brainier for me but it was hard not to spend the extra cash and go to the 211. in the end i decided I did not need the extra current and the 110v MVP plug would never get used Plus it money saved bought me the extras.

Thanks for the input guys

Ive been wanting a welder of my own for some time now. My experience is pretty limited but i'm a quick learner and have some more qualified people that are willing to help me learn. With that said, I'm leaning toward a miller. it looks better built and I really like the auto set feature. now... What size to get? Voltage means nothing to me. 240v is available anywhere I'd use it and 120v consumes so much current that it pretty much has to have a its own circuit. 220v might have a little edge because it would run on a generator easier.

would a semi hard core home hobbyist really need anything more then the 140? The 180 is just a couple hundred more but the extra money would be a good start towards a plasma cutter.

Am i being silly wanting to pay more for the miller over a Lincoln or harbor freight Japanese model? Any good or bad experiences with the millers?

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
congrats on the Miller 180 ... it's going to be an excellent general purpose welder.

decided I had too many welders and sold off a XMT304
the Miller 330 A/BP weights 850lbs. it's sitting on a water tank roller base for the wet TIG torch.

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Speaking of welding, where in Tulsa can I find aluminum stock (sheet, angle, and tube) for sale at decent prices? The hardware stores have some, but the items are too small and way too expensive. I know Cy has two sheets of aluminum for sale, but it's much too thick for what I want to do with the stock, which is to make a shop cart.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ww graingers has a good listing for separate aluminum stock, but prices average $8-$10 per lb.
for instance the 1in thick aluminum stock I've got posted would be $3,500.

buying aluminum new is expensive. I've gotten most of my aluminum stash by hitting up machine shops.
you will have to pay scrap value for it, about $1 lb

did you get a spool gun with your new miller 211?

Perplexed

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
ww graingers has a good listing for separate aluminum stock, but prices average $8-$10 per lb. for instance the 1in thick aluminum stock I've got posted would be $3,500.

buying aluminum new is expensive. I've gotten most of my aluminum stash by hitting up machine shops.
you will have to pay scrap value for it, about $1 lb did you get a spool gun with your new miller 211?

Whew, those are steep prices compared to 30-35 cents per pound for mild steel! Makes me think more about making the cart out of steel. There aren't any local metal yards that sell scrap aluminum, huh? If you don't mind saying so, which machine shops have a good supply of scrap Al?

Yep, I got a spool gun with my 211, as part of a package deal.

_CY_

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
call around and see who's got what. also call the scrap yards... luck of the draw on both
I'd make the cart out of steel ...

Latest posts

Top Bottom