MLK Jr

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

68mustang

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it's where I live, but I don't see a lot of poor asians, or india indians (to clarify). They are a minority, maybe it's because they come from poorer countries to begin with where most whites and blacks have already lived here for centuries?

inactive

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Maybe it's where I live, but I don't see a lot of poor asians, or india indians (to clarify). They are a minority, maybe it's because they come from poorer countries to begin with where most whites and blacks have already lived here for centuries?

Head to larger metro areas - Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York - and you'll see large amounts of Asian immigrants (usually very recent) living in poverty. There's a large disparity in Asian socioeconomic status from top to bottom (compared to many other minorities), as they have arrived as both refugees as well as educated workers and students.

You are right though, that Desi Indian Americans are rather well off comparatively speaking. They could not immigrate into the States until the 1940s, and even then it was only at some ridiculously low rate of like 100 per year. Once the country started industrializing on their on, many became highly educated and come over here on work visas or student (usually graduate school, like PhD) visas.

In other words, Indians are very pool and only the ones that have substantial advantages "back home" have made it over. Contrast that to Blacks who were originally brought here as slave labor, and Hispanics who have recently come in legally and illegally with little to no educational or social advantages.

benjamin-benjamin

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Who cares. Michael King was nothing but a race baiting Marxist lying fraud who has his own American holiday because this is a country of blind kool aid drinking sheep that can't think for themselves and eat whatever dung is shoveled at their faces

wow, it is quotes like this that make me even more impressed with his book Strength to Love, i can't imagine holding my temper back like he did..

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Head to larger metro areas - Los Angeles, San Francisco, Seattle, New York - and you'll see large amounts of Asian immigrants (usually very recent) living in poverty. There's a large disparity in Asian socioeconomic status from top to bottom (compared to many other minorities), as they have arrived as both refugees as well as educated workers and students.

You are right though, that Desi Indian Americans are rather well off comparatively speaking. They could not immigrate into the States until the 1940s, and even then it was only at some ridiculously low rate of like 100 per year. Once the country started industrializing on their on, many became highly educated and come over here on work visas or student (usually graduate school, like PhD) visas.

In other words, Indians are very pool and only the ones that have substantial advantages "back home" have made it over. Contrast that to Blacks who were originally brought here as slave labor, and Hispanics who have recently come in legally and illegally with little to no educational or social advantages.

That's not what I saw in SoCal. What I saw was that they were normally very conservative with their money, lived modestly by choice, saved and paid cash for what they bought. The impression I got was that they were humble, grateful for what they had, and just as hard working as the hispanics. Most had a nice "rainy day fund" too. They could come across as nosey though. Our next door neighbor came over while we were moving in and asked "how much you pay"? pointing at the house. lol Different culture, that's all. I'll also say that the older asian gentleman across the street drove me nuts. He kept his house and yard very nice, he was out in the yard working about 4 days a week. And he blasted Frank Sinatra music the whole dang time! :pissed: I wanted to totally crank the Lynyrd Skynyrd sooooo bad...

Latest posts

Top Bottom