Modifying braced pistols.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yotemarvin

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have about six of these things. Like everyone else that owns one, I’m weighing my options on what to do with them. I think the easiest way (not something I relish doing) is to have a machinist make me a flash suppressor to permanently attach to the barrel to make it 16 inches long. Any thoughts on this idea? Anyone know of someone who could make these for me?
Why do anything, you can’t break a law where one does not exist. The ATF made a ruling it’s not a law by any means.

delta6

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The issue though is, the ATF cannot legally waive the $200 fee. That requires an act of Congress. Sure, that won’t stop the ATF from trying an end run around the Major Question Doctrine, but I expect they’ll be brought to task in court for that.
Wow..pretty lively discussion. I do not want to advise anyone what choice they could/should decide to make, but we should keep the facts straight.

The ATF does have the authority to declare an amnesty without congressional approval. Under Clinton we had another Amnesty (after the one in 1968) when they DD'd Streetsweepers, Strykers and USAS12s and note, that Amnesty was not authorized by Congress. Treasury Sec. Bentsen created it and it went on for quite a period of time, well over a year and the registration was regulated by an acceptance date not a registration date. [Held, the registration period for the USAS-12, Striker-12, and Streetsweeper shotguns will close on May 1, 2001. No further registrations will be accepted after that date.]

Federal Register :: Request Access

The provision for the BAT folks to do this was in the 1968 GCA, Public Law 90-169 Oct. 22, 1968

Title II

Sec 7273

(d) The Secretary of the Treasury, after publication in the Federal Register of his intention to do so, is authorized to establish such periods of amnesty, not to exceed ninety days in the case of any single period, and immunity from liability during any such period, as the Secretary determines will contribute to the purposes of this title.

The ATF is now part of the Department of Justice and the Attorney General has taken over those duties for ATF that formerly belonged to the Secretary of the Treasury. So, theoretically, the Attorney General could declare a ninety day amnesty at any time. I am not sure how they came up with the 120 days in the current proposal, but it could easily be accomplished by declaring another amnesty after the first 90 day one expires. There is no limit in the law on how many amnesties there can be, only the length of each one.

retrieverman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
In early 2021 I ordered and received a Wilson Combat AR pistol. Within a few weeks of picking up the pistol at the FFL I was back at the store just looking around. The store owner mentioned that the AAFTvisited the store and told the owner to contact me and demand that I return the pistol and apply to the ATF with NFA paperwork to be able to own the pistol. The store told the ATF they wouldn't do it. Fast forward to last Saturday. I took delivery of a new Wilson upper with a 16 inch barrel and a rifle but stock. There's no way in hell im filling out a Form 1 for this weapon.
Oh. How did the ATF know I bought a pistol?
I’m just talking out my tail, but more than likely, they saw your 4473 while doing some kind of audit. I know I’m already on “the list”, but I quit buying guns that I have to fill out paperwork on several years ago.

Latest posts

Top Bottom