Modifying braced pistols.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I was going to go the suppressor route except for the time frame involved. There is no way the form 4’s would be approved by the deadline. I really believe this rule is being pushed by the current administration, not the ATF. This would be an easy way to disarm a large portion of the 2A community. Charge you with a felony, confiscate all your firearms.
The long wait for the suppressor is what made me think of getting a faux suppressor pinned and welded while waiting on the form 4 approval. Then get the real suppressor pinned and welded to the barrel. Of course the suppressor would have to be long enough to make the barrel length 16". Just something I'm thinking about as an alternative to doing the SBR thing and then adding a suppressor anyway.

JEVapa

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Banned Supporter
Reaction score
I have about six of these things. Like everyone else that owns one, I’m weighing my options on what to do with them. I think the easiest way (not something I relish doing) is to have a machinist make me a flash suppressor to permanently attach to the barrel to make it 16 inches long. Any thoughts on this idea? Anyone know of someone who could make these for me?
IMO, I think that would be the most expensive and least ROI route to go. It's a waste of steel and $$ with no added benefit. Some machinist would love it though because he'd charge a bunch.
First, if you want to keep pistols, just remove the brace...you can use a sling and push out as a stabilizer; works great actually.
Second option is to put rifle barrels on (my choice). If you are making your barrel 16", then get the full capability out of it and use a full-length rifle barrel.
Third is to SBR them. I may do this with one of mine, and the others are getting transitions to regular pistols and rifles.

BobbyV

Are you serious?
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Third is to SBR them. I may do this with one of mine, and the others are getting transitions to regular pistols and rifles.

You planning to do this during the 120 days "amnesty"? Or a legit SBR later?

I'm debating on doing this with an AR-9 or 300 Blackout upper. I just really don't want to though. If I do, I'll wait until the very last minute while I hope a judge smacks the ATF upside the head over this stupid rule change.

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
If that is what you're going for, why not just put 16" barrels on them. Probably less expensive and fairly easy to do.

You might be able to do some trading for some 16" uppers.
I thought the same thing and they run $90 and up- any recommendations on brand etc. I don't even shoot the thing that much but love it when I do get it out. I'm in a Lone Wolf AR 9 build at about $650- so adding a 16" barrel doesn't hurt me too much on value.

Catswithguns

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
IMO, I think that would be the most expensive and least ROI route to go. It's a waste of steel and $$ with no added benefit. Some machinist would love it though because he'd charge a bunch.
First, if you want to keep pistols, just remove the brace...you can use a sling and push out as a stabilizer; works great actually.
Second option is to put rifle barrels on (my choice). If you are making your barrel 16", then get the full capability out of it and use a full-length rifle barrel.
These are not just regular ar’s. One is a Banshee 458 Socom, a MPX, a 45acp SMG, Galil 556. If you know of a barrel company that would have one for these, I would appreciate the info.

CutBaitNBlowSh*tUp4ALivin

I like rimfire and rimfire accessories. Yup. Mmhmm
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This. Picture every movie bad guy in the 90s with an mp5. They push the sling to it's max from the body. Kinda hard to find pictures of tho.

O4L

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Special Hen Moderator Moderator
Reaction score
I thought the same thing and they run $90 and up- any recommendations on brand etc. I don't even shoot the thing that much but love it when I do get it out. I'm in a Lone Wolf AR 9 build at about $650- so adding a 16" barrel doesn't hurt me too much on value.
I don't have enough knowledge on barrels to recommend one but I'm sure there are others here that can. Maybe Balistic Advantage or Faxon???

T. MIKE SMITH

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think I will just change to a 16" barrel - anyone have one in 9mm - have a Lone Wolf build- my mind has been all over the place on what to do, but I lean to just get legal and hope this goes away. But reality tells me, if I were to use it for home protection, no matter what the sheriffs are saying, it's a whole lot of extra trouble.

Latest posts

Top Bottom