Moles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Chemical treatment is the solution. You have to kill the food source which is grubs and worms. I have sandy loam soil myself and your right. Traps don't work.
Go to domyownpestcontrol.com and search for the spray that will do the job. No tax, free shipping on most items. The search function is great.
There is some stuff you can spray that is not palatable to them, but it only drives them away to the neighbor. You have to kill the food.

steelfingers

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Dennis is right. Traps and all the other crap don't work.
The spray is expensive (the stuff that works) but it kills the grubs and all the things they eat (they don't eat your flowers roots).
No food, no moles.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Traps don't work.
Traps and all the other crap don't work.
Don't suggest traps.
Hehe...."traps!"

Glad I checked my traps this morning before Logging on, otherwise I'm told they wouldn't have worked...hehe...

Have you tried all traps, or just a couple of varieties?

i.imgur.com_y12Jq2v.jpg

I can vouch for Trapline traps, they work pretty well..

Last edited:

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Hehe...."traps!"

Glad I checked my traps this morning before Logging on, otherwise I'm told they wouldn't have worked...hehe...

i.imgur.com_y12Jq2v.jpg

Let me rephrase, traps don't work in my area. My soil is basically blow sand with a little dirt mixed in. I have those exact traps. When an attempt is made to open up the tunnel, the openings collapse. I'm a gopher trapping expert using the big brother of your traps, but the moles just laugh. Best method for me is when I have to backflush the pool filter or drain some excess rain water. Run the 1 1/2" hose to their tunnels and flood them out of the ground.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Let me rephrase, traps don't work in my area. My soil is basically blow sand with a little dirt mixed in. I have those exact traps. When an attempt is made to open up the tunnel, the openings collapse. I'm a gopher trapping expert using the big brother of your traps, but the moles just laugh.
I understand...

Have never used this style on Gophers, they work well? I've only used those wooden box types or just wait at the hole and shoot em..

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Hehe...."traps!"

i.imgur.com_y12Jq2v.jpg

You are welcome to come give em a go. Show me the tricks and catch a couple mole and I will give a couple $20 bills.

deerwhacker444

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
No trick really, soil just had to be able to hold its shape while inserting a trap. If it won't do that, as you've already mentioned, traps won't work.

Sometimes I use something really thin, like a taping knife or puddy knife to cut down thru the tunnel. Anything larger than that, like a garden trowel, shovel or hoe and the integrity of the tunnel is compromised. I stick the knives down thru the tunnel about 8" apart and remove all the soil between, then carefully remove the knives. If I've been careful enough, I'll have two openings to put traps in..

Moles Suck, guess I'm lucky to have dirt that supports traps.

Do the poisons that kill grubs also kill earthworms. I know moles are big time earthworm eaters, but I'd sure hate to kill all the worms..

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I might try that method to see if I can keep the tunnels open, I don't have any of those traps yet. I bet the chemical that kills grubs will kill earth worms also. I don't know that for certain.

I think I will work on opening the pool up today, probably be cussing shoddy for putting that idea in my head.

Latest posts

Top Bottom