More on Obamaphones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlbleak

Sharpshooter
Staff Member
Supporting Member
Special Hen Administrator Moderator Supporter
Reaction score
if the program was not in place or had sensible limits, the door to fraud would not be open. like every other government program that was put in place to be a service or benifit to those in need, this one is/was ripe with exploitation

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
if the program was not in place or had sensible limits, the door to fraud would not be open. like every other government program that was put in place to be a service or benifit to those in need, this one is/was ripe with exploitation

Many of these programs start out with sensible limits but get changed by the feel good lefties as time goes on.

1shott

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
when i get home i'm looking at my phone bill. so here is my stupid question: can i tell my phone company i'm not paying that small add on fee?

thanks for posting this...my blood pressure needed yet another boost.

Thanks to al gore, no you cannot. That universal service fee is everywhere, dont look at your cable either....

jakeman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This whole conversation makes me wonder.

Over a year ago I had to get a new number for my cell. Those numbers are supposed to be inactive for at least 6 months before they are reassigned. I started getting collection calls that day. Most from the Orlando FL area. Some from other areas, and texts that you would have to see to believe. All intended for a Victoria (last name redacted to protect the innocent). I'm talking about texts from her mom, her auntie, her cousins, her boyfriends, etc, etc, but mostly from creditors, and none of them, family included have been in this part of the country. I've gotten picture texts of crap you wouldn't believe, nothing naked, yet, but these people are some of the ugliest folks I've ever laid eyes on. It was sorta funny at first, but I've lost my patience. I had to have a lawyer friend of mine send a letter to a Orlando cable TV and internet provider to get them to stop calling me 6-8 times a day. The Orlando police department called yesterday looking for this *****. I was in the middle of explaining the situation, nicely I might add, and the officer goes off on me, then hangs up. That's a different story, but I called back and asked for her supervisor, got his voice mail, and left a not so nice review of Officer XXXX's behavior.

So, anyway, if most of these government phones have 405 area codes, and those numbers have gotten mixed up with the numbers of paying customers, and they are handing them out all over the country with those 405 area codes, be careful if and when you get a new cell phone number. I don't think this gal has ever lived here, I think she's from the South, as that's where all the calls and texts originate from. So, how did she wind up with a 405 area code cell number?

Edit - I've gotten a couple of calls & texts from New Orleans exchanges as well, from relatives of hers. It just now occurred to me, and I suppose it is possible, that she might have been a Katrina refugee and was in Oklahoma City long enough to latch on to a government phone.

Friarbubba

New to the site!
Reaction score
The reason Oklahoma has so many phones on the Lifeline plan is because of the "Tribal Stipend". All other states are receive about $9.50 per month per Lifeline, regardless if it is a cell or land line.

95% of our state is Federally recognized Tribal Land, so we get an additional $25.00 (and some change). Bottom line, and as of this year, there is $35.25 per month per line per QUALIFIED recipient in THIS state if the person resides on Tribal land.

Because of the abuse of people getting more than one, databases and cross-checks have been increased 10 fold; companies that used to give out hundreds a day per rep now are giving out 15-30 a day per rep on a GREAT day, IF they are companies in compliance and following the newest rules and procedures. (The ones that aren't will slowly get shut down).
Some companies, like Easy Wireless mentioned above, charge the plan member $1 per month (the minimum amount allowed under plan regulations) for unlimited talk / text, rolling the dice that "'average usage" will still come in under $35 worth so they can make a profit, especially since ALL of these companies have to buy the phones they give out. (They would go in the hole every month if everyone used their cell phones like my daughters..but I digress...) Most companies offer 1,000 minutes / texts for the $1.00, but then charge anywhere from $7-30 additional for unlimited....as if they weren't getting enough already. (If one company can make money at only a buck, they ALL could). Anyway, the point of my post was to shed some light on why THIS state has so many, and to enlighten, for those "worried"..that regulations continue to come down fast and hard to "minimize" abuse. People who HAD 5-10 phones instead of the ONE allowed are waking up everyday to find all but one of them shut off..or as the typical case when confusion reigns..ALL of them shut off by the companies fearing penalties and sanctions. Not sure if I wanted my very first post in this esteemed group being THIS one, but just thought I'd fill in some blanks. Have a great day, one and all.
FYI, there IS a better way for ANYONE to get free unlimited talk / text/ and data at 4g speeds, but I'll address that to any that are interested, just message me.

Friarbubba

New to the site!
Reaction score
A thought- Could abusers be charged with a Federal crime of fraudulent use?

Nevermind, it'd cost way more to prosecute them than to just shut their phones down.....

Yes, they sign off that they understand they are committing perjury and that penalties can be severe, including criminal prosecution. Most just don't believe it or care. Until the first one falls, THEN it might be a different story.

Cowman

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Has there ever been a Guvment program? No matter how well intentioned. That has not been in the end not ripe with rampent fraud and corruption.

Latest posts

Top Bottom