More respect for Newt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I am not a big fan of Newt but I have to admit my respect for him just went up a notch.

Steve Hayes played the infamous TV ad Newt cut with Nancy Pelosi three years ago about the “climate crisis” Newt didn’t finesse it: he straight out said, “That was the dumbest single thing I’ve done. . . simply inexplicable. . . it was just dumb.”

They all do dumb things, but for one to actually admit it is very refreshing.

RickN

Eye Bleach Salesman
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree Newt is probably the smartest but he leans to far to the left on too many important issues for me.

andrsnsm

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I agree Newt is probably the smartest but he leans to far to the left on too many important issues for me.

This election should be about who can unseat Obama. The GOP needs to figure out who matches up most favorable, in the eyes of the voting public, against Obama. Even if you think Newt leans too far left on some issues (??) he is still way right of the current administration. The question is, is he electable?

cjjtulsa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
This election should be about who can unseat Obama.

I don’t like Obama any more than the next guy here, but the “anyone but him” thing just doesn’t appeal to me, either. I want to vote for someone I feel is closer to my ideology, not someone who may be nearly as bad as the status quo, but is capable of defeating the incumbent. Not that I'm talking about Newt here - I'm not.

mugsy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
So did you regard Reagan as a suspected closet Liberal too? That was just in jest but truly I remember a man named Richard Vigueries (I may have spelled that wrong) who I think was the editor or publisher of Conservative Digest railing that Reagan wasn't conservative enough and wasn't being a real Conservative.

Politics is always a balance between what you (or anyone) regards as ideal and the practical/achievable - only rarely is there a guy like Reagan who actually changes the rules of the games. I don't see anyone like that on the horizon for either party (well I guess Obama did change things in a bad way)

Shadowrider

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
That one add is what turned me off of Newt. But now I tend to cut him some slack with it. He's deeply entrenched in academia, so I can see how he puts a lot of faith in what the National Academy of Sciences says. That's largely where he drew his info for his opinion. His forte is history, not science so he was relying on those he respected. I think he now knows that the science community was cooking the books on it.

He's had fantastic performances in every debate so far. I'd dearly love to see him debate Obama. :rubhands:

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I like newt more and more...Still behind Cain 100% and I think if either of them got the nomination, they would pick the other for VP. Cain/ Newt or Newt/Cain would please me.

Latest posts

Top Bottom