Mossburg Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I don't see why - he sold a 270 and wants a .243. Makes sense to me.

trading a good round for a so-so deer hunting round.The reason was he was hunting a smaller area with limited range why go from 27 cal to 24 cal nothing changes except effectiveness on impact. A 308 would fit the bill much better IMO

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
trading a good round for a so-so deer hunting round.The reason was he was hunting a smaller area with limited range why go from 27 cal to 24 cal nothing changes except effectiveness on impact. A 308 would fit the bill much better IMO

meh - a .243 has what some would consider better ballistics than a .308 even though its smaller (though the actual effect on prey when hunting is debatable). I agree that I would go with a .308 but more for the amount of data out there should I ever want to stretch it out for a long shot as well as price (.308 is still damn cheap) and it basically has the same recoil as a .243.

.270 is by far not my favorite round. I know there are plenty of folks out there who love it for OK hunting, but IMO its overkill and the recoil isn't worth the trade-off (though its not quite as bad as 30-30 or .30-06).

I personally think that with the tiny deer in OK, there's no reason someone wouldn't be able to kill just about anything consistently (except for maybe bears) with a .243.

Remember, most of the experts will tell you that shot-placement is way more important than caliber (provided the caliber isn't completely inadequate and with tons of people killing deer with a .243 in OK, I'd say it isn't completely inadequate).

Then again, its all about preference.

Reaction score
Read these threads before deciding:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ossberg++bolt&topic=0&Search=true#Post2525183

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=21&Number=1895607

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2720684/1

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/2630486/1

http://www5.usenet-articles.com/t_13063050751692381869_s_Exploded 30-06.html

I personally would NOT get a 100ATR or 4x4 until Mossberg has recalled them and fixed this problem. If there *IS* a problem at all, that is. Sure sounds/looks like there is.

If some of these allegations are true, then you are literally taking your life in your hands just shooting one of these. A bolt entering into your brainstem through your cheek and mouth would not make for much fun.

If you have already bought one, or know someone who has, you'd really oughtta ring the alarm bells and warn them not to shoot it until extensive investigation has occurred.

Caliber, schmaliber.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
How many of those tiny deer have you killed or big deer for that matter?

What does that matter? To be honest, I've only killed one deer with a .243 as I prefer the .308 (for the above stated reasons), but that doesn't change the fact that hundreds of folks in OK are killing them with a .243 every year.

Do you think that a .243 is inadequate to kill Oklahoma's White-tail deer?

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
What does that matter? To be honest, I've only killed one deer with a .243 as I prefer the .308 (for the above stated reasons), but that doesn't change the fact that hundreds of folks in OK are killing them with a .243 every year.

Do you think that a .243 is inadequate to kill Oklahoma's White-tail deer?

I think bullet selection is critical with a 243 . I have seen 243s icepick right through many times with a little internal damage the core-lokts are really bad about it but I do think ammo companies are offering better quality bullets these days.Many people use the 243 flawlessly I have no problem with that.What i was saying is he gave up a superior round for the 243 just wondering why . I was asking how many in whitetail in general

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I think bullet selection is critical with a 243 . I have seen 243s icepick right through many times with a little internal damage the core-lokts are really bad about it but I do think ammo companies are offering better quality bullets these days.Many people use the 243 flawlessly I have no problem with that.What i was saying is he gave up a superior round for the 243 just wondering why . I was asking how many in whitetail in general

I get that. And I'm in no way saying that I'm a super-star hunter either - I've killed less than 10 deer in my whole life. I almost always go out hunting either hogs or deer with at least one friend who will bring along a .243 - they all seem to love it and claim that with proper shot-placement, they've never had a deer make it farther than a few yards (many have dropped on site).

IMO, shot-placement is easily important in hunting than caliber (again, like self-defense - as long as you don't go below that critical threshold of inadequate) but honestly, .270 just seems like overkill to me if you're just hunting in OK and I don't care for that .30-06 recoil.

I'll be honest, if I felt the need to have more bang than my .308, I'd probably go with a .270 over most other calibers and there's nothing wrong with it, but I don't see that the gain of a .270 is enough to justify the cost, recoil, and dedicated hunting round (I wouldn't punch paper with a .270 in a target setting) over a .308.

.243 just gives you the reduced recoil, so the cost savings over .270 isn't huge (if any), and I wouldn't say .243 is optimal in my opinion, but a 100gr bullet traveling at .243 speeds is certainly more than adequate to kill a <200lb deer.

Like I said, different strokes for different folks - personally, I think you're both crazy for not wanting a .308 :D

firepolicedude

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
Well, even after all of the debate here I purchased a Mossy 100 ATR in 243. Thanks for everyone's concern and your opinions. After looking at this gun and doing research I found more good than bad. Mossy has actually put an adjustable trigger on these as well as fixed the firing pin problem that they had in the beginning.

As far as replacing a 270 for a 243.... We all have our preferences on which gun we like to shoot and why. Whether we shoot a 45-70 or a 17HMR it comes down to the shooter and what he likes. Yes, ballistics are important, but I have witnessed more deer killed with a 223 and 243 than I have a 270, 06, 308. It comes down to shot placement. If you put one thru the lungs and heart it doesn't matter. But shot placement will do you no good if you are not comfortable with the gun you are shooting.

Latest posts

Top Bottom