Mossburg Rifles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Like I said, different strokes for different folks - personally, I think you're both crazy for not wanting a .308 :D

Agreed I have a winchester 88 in 308 with a 3x9x40 I personally prefer it to a 270 inside of 300 yards . Good luck with your boys rifle I just bought mine a truck and I've been spending $$$ trying to fix everything as well

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
Well, even after all of the debate here I purchased a Mossy 100 ATR in 243. Thanks for everyone's concern and your opinions. After looking at this gun and doing research I found more good than bad. Mossy has actually put an adjustable trigger on these as well as fixed the firing pin problem that they had in the beginning.

As far as replacing a 270 for a 243.... We all have our preferences on which gun we like to shoot and why. Whether we shoot a 45-70 or a 17HMR it comes down to the shooter and what he likes. Yes, ballistics are important, but I have witnessed more deer killed with a 223 and 243 than I have a 270, 06, 308. It comes down to shot placement. If you put one thru the lungs and heart it doesn't matter. But shot placement will do you no good if you are not comfortable with the gun you are shooting.

Good hunting!let us know how it shoots.

Reaction score
I just thought that after my extensive post I took a lot of time on, to give you information on, designed to help save you from maiming or death deserved at least SOME response. I thought it rather kind of me to help a complete stranger from a death & maiming chance. You didn't even say one word about my post intended to help you, or even acknowledge that I posted anything. You once again likewise said absolutely nothing even in acknowledgement after the SECOND time I tried to help you - not even a brief "thanks for the info, but...." - just nothing at all. Then, the THIRD time I tried to help you, you come back with a smark-alek response that doesn't even make any sense.

Why you would want to risk maiming & death is beyond me. Good luck! :)

fltmedic

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
The Mossberg rifles are fine rifles for the money just remember to go with a good optic and you should be fine-the 243 will serve you just fine for about any hunting in Oklahoma you want to do.Remember fishnhuntn that more deer have been killed over the years with a 22 LR illegally but still killed.I personally don't like the recoil of the 270 that's why I shoot a heavy FNH 308.:ou1

fishn&huntn

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
The Mossberg rifles are fine rifles for the money just remember to go with a good optic and you should be fine-the 243 will serve you just fine for about any hunting in Oklahoma you want to do.Remember fishnhuntn that more deer have been killed over the years with a 22 LR illegally but still killed.I personally don't like the recoil of the 270 that's why I shoot a heavy FNH 308.:ou1

I know a few folks from the hills but they use 22mag they say its worth the extra recoil.My point was a new rifle buyer might want something a little bigger. I have four hunting buddies who have had problems with 243 and no longer use them.Some guns don't like the 100gr bullets and you are stuck with an 85.Also if you get a chance to hunt bigger game I would prefer more lead.

firepolicedude

Marksman
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard both good and bad. I hunt with a guy that shoots a 243 and he has never had a problem and I have had other friends tell me they aren't worth the money. I did notice that you can buy 85 grain up to 100 so I will have to see what the gun likes best. As far as BIG game I have access to plenty of fire power. I am excited to shoot the gun and see how it goes. I am going to use it strictly for deer and a few of those howling mange mutts.

I also believe that for me and my shooting skills the 243 will be a perfect fit. Less recoil, lighter gun, and easier on the ole pocket book when shooting it.

Wasn't trying to be a turd earlier, but sometimes I feel people go overboard on threads when they don't have all the info in front of them. I know we are all entitled to our opinion, but sometimes opinion are best left unsaid. It's kinda like my mother always told me, "if you can't say something nice, then don't sat anything at all". Guess I should have listened and not posted what I did earlier.

I'll make sure to post the pics of the 1st kill with the new Mossy.:fullauto:

Reaction score
"I know we are all entitled to our opinion, but sometimes opinion are best left unsaid. It's kinda like my mother always told me, if you can't say something nice, then don't sat anything at all".

So what you're saying is that if anyone asks for opinions on gun X, and ANYONE knows ANYTHING which is a known negative to gun X, they should keep it to themselves, so as not to shatter the erroneous illusion that the poster has about gun X? We should all offer ONLY glowing positives about Lorcin, Jennings, Bryco, and exploding Mossbergs, so as not to hurt those companies' businesses and allow the person ASKING about gun X to think that they're getting something good when they're getting unmitigated crap? Is that what you are saying? It sure sounds like it....

So if you're talking about me, then no, not it's NOT at all like what your mother told you, and me, and all of us, because it's not about a PERSON; it's about a THING.

I offered more fact than anyone else about these rifles which can KILL you potentially, and you not only (a) ignored it completely 3 times, AND (b) then were rude to me for trying to help you, for some inexplicable reason, and you now say (c) we shouldn't offer our OPINIONS about what you were asking about?

I'll make sure to post the pics of the 1st kill with the new Mossy.

Just hope it's not your casket shot.

And PS, I have no axe to grind; I generally love Mossberg products - I have 4 of them myself - three shotguns and an old .22. I even came *this* close to buying a 4x4 because of the great price, great styling, and positive accuracy reviews - sure glad I didn't and I'm sure glad someone *opened my eyes* to these facts before I leapt.

We could have avoided this whole thing if you'd just said something like:

"Gee thanks Dr. THW, interesting; duly noted; but hey I'm a risk taker and the chances are low". I'd have just said "you're welcome; carry on". Rather than insulting me for trying to help.

Latest posts

Top Bottom