Mountain Lion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imhntn

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard several people say that and not only in this topic and forum but other places. I'm rather confused in are y'all NO KIDDING saying a Mt Lion can only be black or makeing a joke with it? Please enlighten me before I say something I shouldn't.
It is a joke. People are always saying they see black ones and how many black ones have you ever seen legally shot of all the lions harvested every year legally....none. If someone says they saw a black panther, they didn't. Now all you guys that claim to have seen one can let me have it.

dennishoddy

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
There has not been one black panther, or mellanistic cougar EVER documented. None killed by vehicle, hunter, nothing.
Feral Black labs, or black labs just out for an evening stroll get the credit for "black panther sightings."

jmiller45

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
A lot of people refuse to believe they're here. I have personally seen one in Watonga on two occasions calling the game warden both times ong to be told there was no way. Last year there was confirmation in Custer City that there was indeed a mountain lion after one had killed a kids calf that he was raising in town a mile from where I hunt. To say the least I'm a believer and they have my attention!

whiskeysnoot

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have heard several people say that and not only in this topic and forum but other places. I'm rather confused in are y'all NO KIDDING saying a Mt Lion can only be black or makeing a joke with it? Please enlighten me before I say something I shouldn't.
All kidding aside, black panthers are the same as the Volkswagen sized catfish at the bottom of the dam of Lake (insert name of your choice). Legends that many people believe and will forever stand by as true. Google black panther and you'll see that there has never been a documented case of a black mountain lion. Total b.s. Yet as I type this, someone is waiting to rebut with "I seen one! And at night we hear 'im. Sounds like a baby cryin' or a woman screamin'!"

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I've seen 4 out at the mcalester army ammunition plant in my 6yrs out there. 1 adult and 3 different young ones. My grandfather doesnt believe there are any around here, cause grew up around haywood, a little spot in the road, and has never seen one in his 85yrs. Me and my grandmother has had many fights over big cats through the years. I have also seen one black one about 4 miles off the south canadian river around the stuart-calvin area.

264Magnum

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
There has not been one black panther, or mellanistic cougar EVER documented. None killed by vehicle, hunter, nothing.
Feral Black labs, or black labs just out for an evening stroll get the credit for "black panther sightings."

My black Plott / Lab mix looks A LOT like a big cat when he's skulking around the edge of the yard at night with just some moonlight or a bit of light from the house on him.

Bullbuster

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Thanks y'all I was beginning to scratch my skull raw for a minute. I've had the pleasure to live all over the country and heard the black cat thing and many insisted couger are black is why I was asking. The OKC zoo has 2 (not black, lol) of them for your viewing pleasure if you want to see them. I for one walk right on by. I don't like them and never will. I hope never to see another in the field. Even seeing tracks gives me the creeps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom