MP5 Clones - teach me about them

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
So in my quest to get a 9mm carbine, I've been looking at doing an AR in 9mm, but if I was going to SBR something, I'd almost rather have an MP5, but then again, I don't want to dump $4000 into a 9mm carbine, so I started looking at clones.

For about what I would have in an SBR'd 9mm AR, I could get a Vector... but I don't know too much about them (or if there are any other good clones).

Anyone know anything about this world of MP5 clones?

Are mags cheap/worth it? Do clone parts interchange with HK parts in some/any cases? Are there good/better/best clones (what's their reliability like)?

Many thanks in advance.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
My other option was to go with a GSG-5, two tax-stamps and a .22 can (that would be about the same amount of money I'm guessing), but I'd really like a 9mm carbine for now.

WhiteyMacD

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mixed review on the clones,... and they are gaining in price as Hk starts taking more and more of them to court. This also is affecting interchanging with factory Hk parts.

An alternative route would be to:
Get parts kit.
Get receiver flat.
have a reputable builder put it all together.

Parts alone, you are looking at
1700 (Navy style lower)
150-199 (receiver flat)
300-1000 (build and tune)

This is the way I am already in the process of going. For one, its all German. I didn't have to worry about 922r since it will be on a registered receiver.

You can get some good info here.

ez bake

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Mixed review on the clones,... and they are gaining in price as Hk starts taking more and more of them to court. This also is affecting interchanging with factory Hk parts.

An alternative route would be to:
Get parts kit.
Get receiver flat.
have a reputable builder put it all together.

Parts alone, you are looking at
1700 (Navy style lower)
150-199 (receiver flat)
300-1000 (build and tune)

This is the way I am already in the process of going. For one, its all German. I didn't have to worry about 922r since it will be on a registered receiver.

You can get some good info here.

Appreciate the info man - that's pretty darn close to the real deal there. Might have to re-think this and go back to .22s and stay cheap :)

landman873

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I have one of the original GSG-5's (the .22)version i could part with if you interested in it.
ai238.photobucket.com_albums_ff196_landman873_3d68881e.jpg

Mr10mm

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Check out the Vector Uzi? Buy the rifle and sbr it. Easy to find surplus parts that interchange. Uzi smg short barrels will pop right in and run.

Latest posts

Top Bottom