Multiple State Parks possibly closing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amcardon

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Just read this, I would really hate to see this happen...

http://kfor.com/2017/03/13/half-of-oklahoma-state-parks-could-close-with-budget-cuts/

OKLAHOMA CITY - With state agencies told to brace for significant funding cuts, the tourism industry in Oklahoma is expecting the worst.

In an email provided to NewsChannel 4, the director of the the Oklahoma Tourism and Recreation Department told his staff to be prepared should the state be forced to shoulder yet another decrease in funding.

At risk of becoming victims of the cuts: 16 state parks, one state golf course, 80 full-time employees, the Oklahoma Today magazine and the Miami Travel Information center.

"We're not DPS, we're not mental health, we're not DHS, but we still play an important role in the streets of Oklahoma," said spokeswoman Leslie Blair, "and provide Oklahoma families the chance to get out and enjoy the great outdoors."

Proposed park closings include:

• Talimena
  • Great Plains State Park
  • Cherokee Landing State Park
  • Natural Falls State Park
  • Red Rock Canyon State Park
  • Great Salt Plains State Park
  • Lake Eufaula State Park
  • Lake Wister State Park
  • Alabaster Caverns State Park
  • McGee Creek State Park
  • Foss Lake State Park
  • Osage Hills State Park
  • Greenleaf State Park
  • Lake Texoma State Park
  • Grand Lake State Park
  • Grand Cherokee Golf Course
  • Boiling Springs State Park
The department evaluated which parks have the fewest visitors and bring in the least amount of revenue.

Parks make up about two-thirds of the department's budget.

Since 2009, the department has seen a 38 percent budget cut, Blair said, totaling roughly $13.5 million.

Tourism is the state's third largest industry.

"It’s a huge driver of the economy," Blair said. "It’s new revenue coming into the state that provides additional economic opportunity for these smaller communities and for the state as a whole."

The department's executive director so far calls the cuts "hypothetical," but other agencies have developed similarly grim assessments of how a so-called "worst-case scenario" cut would affect them.

The Department of Public Safety and Oklahoma Highway Patrol called their situation a "public safety crisis" last week.

"We want to encourage people to get out and explore all that Oklahoma has to offer," Blair said. "It’s truly devastating and heartbreaking to think about closing these parks."

The parks would not necessarily close or vanish.

They may be handed over to municipalities, which may maintain the grounds differently.

The state has taken pride in keeping its facilities clean and in good condition, Blair said.

For families taking in Red Rock Canyon State Park Monday, the news of a potentially crippling cut was disappointing.

"I can understand where you have to cut somewhere in the budget shortfall," said Jason Schelke. "But, with that said, it would still be a travesty if we cut those parks out. These are places for families to go and enjoy this stuff."

Families value the opportunity to pry their children away from technology and screens, Schelke said.

donner

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I hate to see it too, but if they are not making money what should the state do?

why do they have to make money? I agree there is a limit to how much resources they should use, but i don't agree that things have to 'make' money to be worthwhile.

Things like parks often have benefits to society that go beyond financial return.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
why do they have to make money? I agree there is a limit to how much resources they should use, but i don't agree that things have to 'make' money to be worthwhile.

Things like parks often have benefits to society that go beyond financial return.
Only 1 or 2 state parks in Oklahoma make money. Little Sahara State Park may be the only park to make money.

CBarCRanch

Sharpshooter
Reaction score
I hate to see it too, but if they are not making money what should the state do?
I believe I recently saw your post about going to the state tourney as a school staff sponsor. The statement you made that I quoted, should that also apply to school programs that aren't core educational programs? What about all the duplicate administration positions in a county?

Pokinfun

The Most Interesting Man in the World
Special Hen
Reaction score
I believe I recently saw your post about going to the state tourney as a school staff sponsor. The statement you made that I quoted, should that also apply to school programs that aren't core educational programs? What about all the duplicate administration positions in a county?
That would depend if you see the sports programs as educational or not. I do not see why you are trying to toss in your point about administrative positions as part of this topic, unless you are not truly injecting you opinion about his topic. I think you actually want to talk about school superintends and school districts in the state.
Politics as usual - "Let's tell people we're going to take stuff away so they'll be in favor of tax increases."
I would agree, the same as Obama closing the national monuments in DC.

When I have extra money in my budget, we go on a vacation or I buy toys. When I do not have extra money, we conserve and prioritize expenses. They are not closing all of the state parks, so the benefit is still there, it just may not be exactly where someone has always gone. Besides, some of the places, such as Lake Texoma, has numerous private places you can camp.

yukonjack

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
This whole thing is BS. Instead of looking at operations and making realistic cuts they decide to do a "doom & gloom" press release. Same thing we heard from OHP when they announced budget cuts. People were gonna die.

This whole line of manufactured crisises gets old. You'd think Okies would see through this and not get their panties tied in a knot. Of course that's what these political stoolies are counting on.

Latest posts

Top Bottom