My 3 week old yard

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Well Friday evening almost 3 weeks ago I rototilled my front yard after removing a bunch of weeds.
I tossed a bunch of Kentucky 31 seed and other partial shade seed down along with 10-20-10 fertilizer.
Tilled it in, then leveled it by dragging a 4foot x2 foot section of expanded metal grate with tires on it.

Then tossed down more seed and rolled a 30 gallon drum filled with water to pack it.
The tossed more seed on top of that and raked it in lightly and made sure it had water, never letting the soil dry out.

All this rain helped a bunch but did wash a few spots ...
Anyway I am so far happy with it and I mowed it 2 days ago.

Neighbors thought I was nuts for tilling up my front yard.. . Friday the 15th will be 3 weeks since I tilled it up
This could possibly work well for a quick feed grass during deer season if you can keep water on it

kentucky 31 001.jpg

excat

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Did you spray and kill off everything in your yard before you tilled it?

I ask because I'm nearing this point with my yard....I spray and spray, but I keep telling myself next time I'm filling the sprayer with gasoline and throwing a match down when I'm done spraying.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I'm about ready to do the same. Sprayed to late for weeds and about killed the emerging Bermuda. It's starting to come back but it ain't pretty.

Good job

CHenry

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
I'm about ready to do the same. Sprayed to late for weeds and about killed the emerging Bermuda. It's starting to come back but it ain't pretty.

Good job
What to you spray and when? I use Prowl (preemergent) and round up (generic brand) in late Feb and always have good luck. I also and spraying 8 acres.

SMS

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
Paid a local guy...and he didn't get it done until late March. No idea what he sprayed but the lawn just now started greening up and is still spotty. Won't be using him again, that's for sure.

swampratt

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I sprinkled a bunch of scotts weed and feed on my lawn and the neighbors and it only killed dandelions.
The wood sorrel or sheep shower as I call it was still there as were the pretty purple flowers and other clover crap.

I waited 2 weeks after the scotts was down and tilled it and raked all the grass and weeds I could get and stuck them in the trash.

And now I have a decent start on a lawn.

I have found a killer that works it is ortho weed be gone and I fill one of the ortho sprayers up that has the dial head on it,
Directions call for you to set it on 2 ounces.. but I go for double that or stick it on 8 and not need to mow for a long time.

I just sprayed part of the yard next to me with it on 2.5 so we will see how it does.

Funny thing is the area where we drive on the grass (Bermuda) there are Zero weeds.. I have noticed this phenomenon for a few years.

Weeds do not like to be mashed constantly.. or Bermuda creeps and fills in tight when mashed.. you decide

Latest posts

Top Bottom