my camping trip to the 4th ring of dente's inferno

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akgriffin

Sharpshooter
Supporting Member
Special Hen Supporter
Reaction score
I had my grandson's this weekend and wanted to take them camping since the last 2 times they were here i was on crutches or working 6 days a week. So i get them friday, got things packed up, wife just got home and was getting ready, we hear a scream and crying. kids was outside, bill was holding his head crying and blood coming between his fingers. Bill threw a rock at his brother david, so david chunked back and was a better shot and hit back. Needless to say, one got a butt whooping other got what he deserved for throwing rocks. Fast forward 2 hours, at camp and getting fire pit set up, the boys were to unload the firewood. David in truck throwing and bill hauling and stacking. Bill walked in and caught a chunk of wood and split his head again. It was a harsh first night. So next morning we decided he needed to be looked at, so my cousin is a nurse and took him to her. I cooked breakfast, and waited till the fire was out before we left. She pronounced him ok, and we reloaded up on more wood since it was going to be colder that night. On the way back about a mile from our camp, i see a puff of black smoke followed by a bigger cloud. I was thinking it was my uncle who has a dozer close to out camp was pushing brush. we got in to about a 1/2 mile and a giant white cloud boil into the air, i knew it was a grass fire. I told the wife we just lost all of out stuff. All the blankets and pillows in the house...tent.. kids coats and clothes, my heavy coat, cpap machine, ice chests with food. it took the fire dept with 2 trucks about 15 minutes to put the fires out. the firefighters think there was a ember that got kicked out in a wind swirl and burned everything up. I have been camping since i was little and this was the first for me, and now my wife doesnt want to camp again in fear of burning down something else. The moral of the story, watch your fires and make sure your fire is set up correctly to prevent this from happening. I cried a little, then i laughed my ass off cause you couldnt write this story and make me believe it.

TerryMiller

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Now, if you'd been on crutches or working, this would never have happened.

Seriously, even with all you lost, you still have blessings. That could have happened in the middle of the night while you were asleep. Hope everyone heals OK and the wife has a change of heart.

montesa

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Man that's a terrible camping trip. I'm sure the next one will be better. The worse that I've done is sunk my truck in mud up to the doors.

Old Fart

Sharpshooter
Special Hen
Reaction score
Glad everyone is okay. And as others have said stuff can be replaced, but that doesn't make it any better.

As I was reading this it reminded me of my first night camping as a young boy scout.
We were all asleep in or tent around 3 in the morning we heard a yell, I slid out of my tent.
What I saw was one of the tents was on fire and someone was dragging a boy out in his sleeping bag which was on fire.
Long story short everyone was okay and it was decided that like your fire a smoldering ember had most likely escaped.

Latest posts

Top Bottom